Rent Assistance Directly to a Bank Account

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
ejmowrer

Rent Assistance Directly to a Bank Account

Post by ejmowrer »

I've been an assistant clerk now for almost 3 years. Twice now, I've come across members requesting that rent assistance be paid directly into a specific bank account. Or rather, the legitimate paperwork they submitted requires that that is how the rent must be paid, usually in cases where the home is under threat of foreclosure or is otherwise being managed by a 3rd party debt management agency or legal counsel. I was not able to find any guidelines in any of the ward clerk resources about this sort of thing.

Should I insist that the member negotiate a way for the 3rd party to accept a mailed check, made out to the 3rd party? Or is there a way to properly and appropriately accommodate such a request and deposit the money directly into the account, electronically, without some sort of interim step, such as making the check out to the bank and then hand delivering it for deposit?

If there are specific guidelines about this, I would appreciate it if you could point me to them. Everything I've seen seems to presuppose that a check will be issued and mailed or hand delivered to the 3rd party.

Thank you!
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Rent Assistance Directly to a Bank Account

Post by lajackson »

ejmowrer wrote:Everything I've seen seems to presuppose that a check will be issued and mailed or hand delivered to the 3rd party.
The only way a ward in the U.S. can disburse funds is by check (other than a transfer to the stake).

If a one-time electronic rent payment is absolutely required, the bishop or Relief Society president might make the payment on behalf of the member receiving assistance, and then be reimbursed by the ward (by check). Keep good records and receipts.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”