"The Piano Guys" LDS youth event - YouTube stream access @ a chapel

Use this forum to share and discuss ideas that do not fall into a specific audiovisual media type.
rich

"The Piano Guys" LDS youth event - YouTube stream access @ a chapel

Post by rich »

I am curious if anyone has a pointer to the network policy of what is passed or blocked from streaming on chapel networks (i.e. YouTube content blocked).

The YM/YW orgs in my ward are thinking of streaming this as a combined activity 20Oct2015: https://www.lds.org/youth/activities/sp ... piano-guys

The stream will originate from here: https://www.youtube.com/user/MormonMessagesYouth

I can call the GSC as the date gets closer but wondered if anyone knew if this YouTube channel will be allowed through or reflected through lds.org somehow?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: "The Piano Guys" LDS youth event - YouTube stream access @ a chapel

Post by lajackson »

The last one was broadcast on the Church satellite system. It was also streamed on lds.org and if you go directly from that page, I think you will be able to stream it. But get someone to verify they were able to do that last time before you rely on it.

I have successfully streamed at the chapel directly from lds.org before without being stopped by the firewall.

By the way, the GSC had zero information to help answer the question, even on the day of the last broadcast.
mprusse

Post by mprusse »

The last one was broadcast on the Church satellite system.
How can we confirm that this one will be broadcast on the Church satellite system? I called the Global Help Desk and spoke with a satellite rep and he wasn't able to confirm that. This would definitely avoid all the pitfalls present with streaming.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

mprusse wrote:How can we confirm that this one will be broadcast on the Church satellite system?
I don't think you can. Hopefully, they will think farther ahead this time. It was a last minute change when word got back that the youth who were assembled in meetinghouses as requested would not be able to view the broadcast.

I have successfully streamed directly from LDS.org so I know that they sometimes feed directly without going through YouTube.
kcuene

Post by kcuene »

Has anyone found out if the Piano Guys Face to Face event will be available on the satellite system. Our stake would like to do an event at the stake center with all of the you invited.

Thanks
rsidwell

Post by rsidwell »

I haven't seen that announced, and I wouldn't count on it since I haven't heard the encouragement to meet in chapels like they did for Elder Bednar. But you can support it if you can stream from the Internet in your chapel. You can't stream from YouTube, but you can get the stream from lds.org or the Mormon Channel. Being able to stream from the Internet is also a useful backup in case of satellite problems during General Conference, so it would be worthwhile to get this capability for more than the Face to Face event. A hardwired connection would be best so you can shut off wireless if needed.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

rsidwell wrote:. . . you can support it if you can stream from the Internet in your chapel. You can't stream from YouTube, but you can get the stream from lds.org or the Mormon Channel.
The official announcement says the event can be a Mutual activity, or youth can participate with their friends or family at home. There is no mention of the Church satellite system.

Note: I added the link to "this page", which also is the page where the announcement is located.
The event will be streamed live on October 20, 2015, at 6:00 p.m. MDT. Youth can join the conversation on this page, LDS.org, the LDS Youth YouTube channel, the Mormon Channel, and the LDS Youth Facebook page. This event can be a Mutual activity, or youth can participate with their friends or family at home.
Obviously, if it is a Mutual activity, you will need to stream it at the meetinghouse. As others have mentioned, you can stream from LDS.org or the Mormon Channel, but not YouTube. Be aware that sometimes when LDS.org gets busy, it throws traffic over to YouTube. Bad form, but there is not much you can do about it. Try again at LDS.org and get lucky, or go directly to the Mormon Channel.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

lajackson wrote:There is no mention of the Church satellite system.
Funny. They ran it on the Church satellite system.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:
lajackson wrote:There is no mention of the Church satellite system.
Funny. They ran it on the Church satellite system.
Was it carried as a church program (complete with pre-roll), or did it come over with the BYU programming they show when nothing is on?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:Was it carried as a church program (complete with pre-roll),
They fired up the satellite about 10 minutes before the broadcast and knew immediately that it was going to be there, I'll ask when I see the operator again if it was the choir pre-roll. I would almost have to have been.

Return to “General Media Discussions”