Boundary Realignment still in MLS?

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
mwgrover

Boundary Realignment still in MLS?

Post by mwgrover »

Since the functionality to move membership records has transferred from MLS to LCR, I was wondering if the Boundary Realignment process is still in MLS. In other words, when a new ward is created, and we want to mass move membership records between wards, is the process still the same in MLS? Or has that functionality also moved to LCR?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Boundary Realignment still in MLS?

Post by lajackson »

mwgrover wrote:Since the functionality to move membership records has transferred from MLS to LCR, I was wondering if the Boundary Realignment process is still in MLS. In other words, when a new ward is created, and we want to mass move membership records between wards, is the process still the same in MLS? Or has that functionality also moved to LCR?
It was still in MLS last I checked. And I certainly hope it stays there until it becomes available in LCR.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

mwgrover wrote:Since the functionality to move membership records has transferred from MLS to LCR, I was wondering if the Boundary Realignment process is still in MLS. In other words, when a new ward is created, and we want to mass move membership records between wards, is the process still the same in MLS? Or has that functionality also moved to LCR?
The ability to mass move membership records after a boundary change is in LCR now.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jonesrk wrote:The ability to mass move membership records after a boundary change is in LCR now.
Has it been turned off if MLS?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:
jonesrk wrote:The ability to mass move membership records after a boundary change is in LCR now.
Has it been turned off if MLS?
If it is in LCR, I am sure it is no longer in MLS. I just haven't been at MLS recently enough to have seen that the function has moved.
mwgrover

Post by mwgrover »

Thanks everyone. When we actually make the change and go through the process, I will report back to let you know how it went.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:If it is in LCR, I am sure it is no longer in MLS. I just haven't been at MLS recently enough to have seen that the function has moved.
Normally, that's true. It's to avoid having to create a sync of data back into MLS. But a boundary realignment would be different. The sync for a move-out is already in place. It would actually be more work to turn it off than to leave it. It's used rarely enough, I don't think there's a need to drive people to LCR.

Also, I believe the MLS boundary realignment is based on Geo codes - something not in LCR. So some units would suddenly find they have to redo the selection process if it were turned off in MLS.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:Also, I believe the MLS boundary realignment is based on Geo codes - something not in LCR. So some units would suddenly find they have to redo the selection process if it were turned off in MLS.
The boundary realignment process is separate from and does not affect the mass movement of membership records. But because they are related, it made sense to have both menu items on the same panel in MLS.

Boundary realignment uses geocodes and is still in MLS. There is no specific membership record selection process. The realignment link provides the ability to model various configurations of potential units. It allows the printing of reports and directories as they would appear in a new unit. Once the final boundary is determined, submitted to Church headquarters, and approved, the clerk usually prints a head of household directory for the new unit(s) and then proceeds to actually move the membership records.

The ability to move multiple membership records at the same time, as jonesrk mentioned, is now at LCR. It probably works the same way it did before. You get a list of all the households in the unit, and you check off the boxes for the ones that are moving to the new unit. (That's why the printed list from MLS Boundary Realignment comes in so handy.)
sheffy6

Post by sheffy6 »

I called Salt Lake two weeks ago and there is an online tool now available in LCR, but it is not clear how to get to it. Here are the steps:

1. Log into LCR
2. In the menu click Reports > Boundary and Leadership Change Request
3. On the next page click Recommendation for New Bishop
4. Now you are in the Boundary and Leadership Proposals app. To get to the Boundary tool click the Arrow in the box to the left of the title "Recommendation for New Bishop"
5. There you go! You should now be able to click the "Create New Proposal" button and choose the boundary option.

You can split wards and/or modify boundaries directly on the map. It gives you immediate updates on membership numbers based on the new boundaries. So much better than geocodes. But you do have to ensure your clerks have verified address locations and the bishops need to enter some specific info as well. The tool instructs on what needs to be done.

The direct link to the boundary proposal tool is https://bl.lds.org/#/boundary

Hope this helps.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”