Member showing as Deceased when she is not

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
thomcasey

Member showing as Deceased when she is not

Post by thomcasey »

I have a Ward member that is showing as Deceased, but she isn't. I cave sent messages to Support in the past, but this is still unresolved after several months. Is there something else I can do in this situation?
eblood66

Re: Member showing as Deceased when she is not

Post by eblood66 »

thomcasey wrote:I have a Ward member that is showing as Deceased, but she isn't. I cave sent messages to Support in the past, but this is still unresolved after several months. Is there something else I can do in this situation?
The records for deceased members are normally removed from MLS. Where are you seeing any record of her in MLS or LCR?

If a message to support hasn't resolved anything, I'd say you probably need to call.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I was going you ask the same thing, what are you seeing to make you say she is deceased? The only place I can think of is when a member's record is referring to a former spouse that they had been sealed to. And I'm not 100% sure of that. Otherwise the record is just missing.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

I suppose the OP could be referring to her record in FamilySearch. That's the only place I could think of that would show a deceased member.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mfmohlma wrote:I suppose the OP could be referring to her record in FamilySearch. That's the only place I could think of that would show a deceased member.
That's possible. Especially if the person is old enough to show up in some source documents in FamilySearch (such as the 1940 census). The record could have been done by anyone. It's not necessarily an indication that she's been recorded dead on her membership record.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

russellhltn wrote:
mfmohlma wrote:I suppose the OP could be referring to her record in FamilySearch. That's the only place I could think of that would show a deceased member.
That's possible. Especially if the person is old enough to show up in some source documents in FamilySearch (such as the 1940 census).
Another gotcha in this area on FamilySearch is sites such as FindAGrave.com and BillionGraves.com, which include headstones regardless of whether someone is buried there. It's fairly common for a married couple to have a shared headstone with both names once one of them dies, but the death date is not filled in for the surviving spouse. Some users are careless and think that if a person's name appears in FindAGrave or BillionGraves, then they must be deceased. That's not a safe assumption.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

About FamilySearch: Last I checked, you can't connect a source document to a living person. So there is a bit of incentive to mark people as deceased. Especially if you're a "source hound" like me.

sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

If you're on LCR 7.0 you can record a resurrection. Go to Membership > Record an Ordinance. Under "Other Ordinances" choose Resurrection. Select which spirit ward she is transferring from and type her name in the "birth name" field. It should autocomplete. Fill in the date, location, and any other info you have and press Save. Make sure you select the proper degree that was assigned from the dropdown, or it won't save.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. :)
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
lmcguire

Post by lmcguire »

sbradshaw wrote:If you're on LCR 7.0 you can record a resurrection. Go to Membership > Record an Ordinance. Under "Other Ordinances" choose Resurrection. Select which spirit ward she is transferring from and type her name in the "birth name" field. It should autocomplete. Fill in the date, location, and any other info you have and press Save. Make sure you select the proper degree that was assigned from the dropdown, or it won't save.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. :)
:lol:
(I was coming to see if there was a good joke to make in this thread, but you beat me to it!)
Liz

Return to “Membership Help”