When to transfer or hold records

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
bballrob

When to transfer or hold records

Post by bballrob »

I live in an area that has a fair number of members who go back and forth for extended periods depending on the season. Generally, they come here in the spring/summer, and fall they all head south for the winter.

Can anyone tell me what the policy is regarding whether records should be held in our ward or the ward they are in during the fall winter months? Is it based on where they declare their home to be? Where they spend the majority of their time? Some other factor?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: When to transfer or hold records

Post by russellhltn »

I'd start with Handbook 1: 13.6.4. The policy is "3 months". However, that dates back to when records were moved via snail mail. At some point, given that records can now be transferred instantly, that may shrink.

It should also be noted that bishops are not to issue temple recommends for members who have been in their ward for less than a year without consulting with the prior bishop.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Re: When to transfer or hold records

Post by scgallafent »

The last paragraph of that section of Handbook 1 13.6.4 is worth reading twice. If there is a question, base your decision on what best meets the person's needs.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”