Is the .lds available for general membership to register domains & how?

Discussions about other Church websites
davea0511

Is the .lds available for general membership to register domains & how?

Post by davea0511 »

Been wanting to do this ... Putting a .lds email address on a business card (as an extra email) would be a great way to let people know my religion.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Is the .lds available for general membership to register domains & how?

Post by russellhltn »

Not that I'm aware of.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
kd7mha

Post by kd7mha »

from the application to ICANN https://gtldresult.icann.org/applicatio ... tails/1436
iv. Intended Registration Policies.

a. Eligibility

Eligibility to register domain names under the .LDS gTLD will be highly restricted. Only the Applicant and its designated representative, Church officers and employees, and organizations affiliated with the Church will have authority to register names. Restricting eligibility in this manner is justified because the mission of the proposed gTLD is to serve the Community, not to recover revenues through the sale of domains, and because permitting third-party registrants could confuse Community members about the authenticity of content on the gTLD, contrary to that mission.
Rank-and-file Church members will not be granted domain names, in order to preserve the use of the .LDS gTLD for the general needs of the Community.
I read this as a definite NO
There are 11 types of people. Those who understand Gray Code and those that don't.
davea0511

Post by davea0511 »

note to self: You're just a "Rank-and-file Church member". Good to know. Thanks.
;)

I had read somewhere that it would be available for certain LDS blogs. I had also heard at one point that the church was pondering an LDS blogging platform. I wonder if that's still on the table. I suspect if so it would be something that was on a trial basis ... at some point and .lds might be made available ... but of course that makes you above and beyond the "rank-and-file". Hehehe.

Return to “Other Websites”