Addendum to Record

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
mercedeye-p40

Addendum to Record

Post by mercedeye-p40 »

I'm moving a membership record out for a member who no longer resides with his family.
The Bishop wants me to add a note to the record for the next Bishop.
Is it possible to add a note or is my only option to select the radio button that reads, "Contact prior Bishop"? :confused:
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

mercedeye wrote:I'm moving a membership record out for a member who no longer resides with his family.
Is it possible to add a note or is my only option to select the radio button that reads, "Contact prior Bishop"? :confused:
I assume you are saying you need to put a note on the record, but it is unnecessary to contact the prior bishop, is that what you are saying?

I think this is the only way to do it (by checking the "Contact Prior Bishop"). I can imagine what would happen if every bishop had a note about some member, it could become quite a mess. I imagine the MLS developers thought it best to keep things tidy and have things passed by word-of-mouth.
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

mercedeye wrote:I'm moving a membership record out for a member who no longer resides with his family.

I have always surmised that free-form comment fields have been excluded from MLS (and its predecessor) is that the Church does not want us keeping dossiers on members. However handy it would be, such a field is too easily misused.
luvmy8dz-p40

Post by luvmy8dz-p40 »

I have added a note using the "Special requests" section.
1historian-p40

Post by 1historian-p40 »

mercedeye wrote:The Bishop wants me to add a note to the record for the next Bishop.

It depends on the type of note the bishop is wanting to leave. I.E.
"Brother Johnson is close to being ordained an Elder"- Click contact Prior Bishop
Bu if its
"Brother Johnson Is believed to have committed serious sin" The Bishop needs to call Salt Lake to have the record notated.
Hopefully its the first option and no offense to any Brother Johnsons' out there.
cherishj

Post by cherishj »

Please note that no actual "note" is added when you submit a special request. A hold is placed on the record so the bishops have to communicate before the record can be moved.
mercedeye-p40

Thanks

Post by mercedeye-p40 »

I've learned a bit about this process.
Thanks for the discussion! :cool:
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

luvmy8dz wrote:I have added a note using the "Special requests" section.
The Special requests section is a note to CHQ, not to the new unit. Just check the box that the new bishop should contact the former bishop.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

lajackson wrote:The Special requests section is a note to CHQ, not to the new unit. Just check the box that the new bishop should contact the former bishop.

I think there is some confusion over two related, but distinct issues.

First, as a membership record is moved out of a ward into a new ward, there is an option for the first ward to specify "Contact prior bishop." Only the bishop of the first ward may specify that this option is selected. In this case, the membership record will be moved, but the bishop of the new ward will be notified with the new record that he is to contact the bishop of the first ward.

Second, you can use the Special Requests section of MLS to put a Move Restriction on the record (this can also be done by the bishop calling the administration office). This will make sure that the record is not moved by another ward without the bishop's knowledge. Then when a move request for the record comes to the administration office, they will contact the bishop before allowing the move.

If there is some chance that the record of the concerned individual may be requested by another ward and thus moved out of the ward without the bishop's prior notification, you may want to consider the Move Restriction. Even without a Move Restriction, the original ward will be notified through MLS that the record was moved, and which ward it moved to, so a Move Restriction is rarely necessary. However, a Move Restriction can be appropriate in some cases where time is of the essence.
Miknmaur

Post by Miknmaur »

Even without a Move Restriction, the original ward will be notified through MLS that the record was moved, and which ward it moved to, so a Move Restriction is rarely necessary. However, a Move Restriction can be appropriate in some cases where time is of the essence.

How does one get this information? I have not seen it anywhere?

Return to “Membership Help”