Surplus Ward Missionary Fund

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
troy.ochsenbein

Surplus Ward Missionary Fund

Post by troy.ochsenbein »

Is there a specific policy for managing the Ward Missionary Fund that is not assigned to a particular missionary? I have heard that the excessive funds should be allocated to the existing missionaries even if funding is available from the family to keep the budget from growing to excess. Is this consider best practice or should the Ward Unit simple wait for the Stake to request the extra funds?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Surplus Ward Missionary Fund

Post by russellhltn »

First, I would find out why there is a surplus. That might affect the answer.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
troy.ochsenbein

russellhltn wrote:First, I would find out why there is a surplus. That might affect the answer.
Because the ward members contribute to the Ward Missionary Fund but don't specify a missionary and the family for the one missionary that is in the field doesn't require any additional support. That all said, I would presume there is a best practice or policy for how these funds are managed.

Thanks in Advance.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'm not sure of a detailed "best practice", but if you don't foresee any use for those funds anytime soon, I'd suggest discussing the issue with the stake clerk.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
troy.ochsenbein

I'll speak with the Stake the next chance I get. But it sounds like there's no documented "Policy"?

Thanks
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

troy.ochsenbein wrote:I'll speak with the Stake the next chance I get. But it sounds like there's no documented "Policy"?
The help center article on Missionary Finances (last section) indicates that the bishop and stake president decide when there is excess. That seems to be the documented policy.
troy.ochsenbein

Thank you for the reference and all the feedback, it's much appreciated.
idjeeper2

Post by idjeeper2 »

I realize this is an old discussion but thought I could add some information.

We also receive donations to the Ward Mission Fund that are not designated for a particular missionary. The fund builds up over time to a fair amount of money. About three years ago, we got a notice from our Area Authority Seventy that there was too much money there and it needed to be transferred to the Stake promptly. The rules were that we could retain any money that was paid in advance for an individual missionary and enough money to cover our missionaries for three months in the event something changed with the family finances. This has become an annual event and I am expecting a letter any day now asking for the money.

As I understand it, the stake has the option of distributing the funds to another ward if there is a need. Otherwise it is sent on the Church General Missionary Fund.

Now, here is where I might run into some controversy. I would be very hesitant to deny the blessings of supporting a missionary to any family. If they can meet the obligation and are willing to do so, I'm not taking that opportunity away from them. I would much rather see the money go to another ward or area where there is a true need.

These are just my experiences and opinions. Ultimately, this is a discussion that takes place between the bishop and stake president.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”