Password Change Problem

Church Account is the primary user account (user name and password) for accessing online Church resources. Church Account was formerly known as LDS Account. This forum is a space to discuss all things related to Church Accounts (registration, account recovery, user experience, vulnerabilities, etc.).
dbcottam

Password Change Problem

Post by dbcottam »

I was called by a recent convert who was unable to access her LDS Account. I helped her change the password.
I was able to log into LDS Account and Family Search but not LDS Tools or the LDS Store...

Is there some sort of lag in syncing the passwords across the sites? or is this an anomaly that should be resolved by tech support?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Password Change Problem

Post by russellhltn »

I have seen a lag some time ago. I don't remember how long. Longer than I would have expected, but I don't think it was an hour.

But keep in mind, there's a lot of things she's not going to be able to access unless her MRN has been added to her account.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
LDSAccountTech
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by LDSAccountTech »

There are a couple of things to check with accounts when this happens.
  • First, if the MRN is not associated with the account, then users won't be able to log in to Tools and view ward information (or other sites and see MRN-specific information). If the MRN is associated with the account, then you may need to change browsers and try changing passwords again.
    Ensure you are using ldsaccount.lds.org to change the password (or to recover it). If the site lags or seems unresponsive, then try ldsaccount-classic.lds.org.
    You may also need to clear browsing data or internet cache/cookies to speed up sites and browsers.
    Finally, if all else fails, try using a different device to change the password.
Another thing to note, sometimes users change their passwords, but the site doesn't give a confirmation. You may want to try logging in to another site with the new password you tried to change your password to, just to ensure that the password hasn't already been changed, even though it didn't say so.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I think the definitive test for login is to log out and try to log back into ldsaccount.lds.org. Everything else could be on a delay.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
LDSAccountTech
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by LDSAccountTech »

Typically password changes have synchronized through ALL systems within a few seconds (less than 10). Occasionally, servers can get stuck on a process and password replication does become backed up. If one waits, it will usually synchronize. If a person changes their password again, or even several times, the last password specified, will ultimately synchronize to FamilySearch, or to whichever system is being problematic.

In rare cases, the password does not synchronize due to system problems. If a password has been changed, and after a day or so, the new password is still not working on any church website (but works to log into ldsaccount.lds.org), the person can go to ldsaccount.lds.org/contact, and submit a support request to look at their LDS Account.

Return to “Church Account”