Unplanned Indexing Project - Hawaiian

Discussions around Genealogy technology.
clkanahele

Unplanned Indexing Project - Hawaiian

Post by clkanahele »

The FamilySearch department has no planned projects for records in the Hawaiian language. For those of us doing Hawaiian genealogy research, we need Hawaiian records indexed. Will the FS department allow group projects like this? If not, is there software that we could use that behaves similar to the FS indexing website?

Thank you in advance for your help.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Unplanned Indexing Project - Hawaiian

Post by russellhltn »

clkanahele wrote:The FamilySearch department has no planned projects for records in the Hawaiian language.
The first question is do they have any records that need indexing? You can't index what you don't have, and indexing other people's records without their permission is considered bad form.

I'd suggest you work though your stake president to the area authority to press on FS for indexing any Hawaiian records they have.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
clkanahele

Post by clkanahele »

There are many vital records in the Hawaiian language that are not searchable. From my perspective, the term Indexing is used to describe a 2-step process. Indexing the words for computerized searching is the second step (that step is relatively easy and has been done many times over). The first step - translating/transcribing the words from a photographic image to computer character words - is the most time consuming and requires knowledgeable humans. The technology for the first step is what I am most interested in. I have reached out to this community (LDSTech) to see if you folks can help identify a solution for indexing projects that are not in the FS schedule.

Thank you in advance for an open mind to my interest.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

clkanahele wrote:There are many vital records in the Hawaiian language that are not searchable.
I know they exist, I'm asking if they exist on FS.

Edit: It's actually a 4 step process. The first step is to obtain the images and the rights to publish them. It's still unclear to me if FS has the images you want to get indexed. If the information is actually written in the Hawaiian language, I'm not sure as FS would have them.

The next step is to digitize the images - be they from microfilm or the original paper. If FS hasn't digitized them yet, that would explain the lack of indexing projects. The digitizing of existing microfilm is a big project and I don't think it's anywhere near completion.

A quick look at FS turns up the following collections:

Hawaii Births and Christenings, 1852-1933
Hawaii Deaths and Burials, 1862-1919
Hawaii Marriages, 1826-1922
Hawaii Obituaries Index, ca. 1980-present
Hawaii, Honolulu Index to Passengers, Not Including Filipinos, 1900-1952
Hawaii, Honolulu Passenger Lists, 1900-1953
Hawaii, Passenger Lists of Airplanes departing Honolulu, 1942-1948
United States Census, 1900
United States Census, 1910
United States Census, 1920
United States Census, 1930
United States Census, 1940

There's more, but those would seem to be the top Hawaii-specific ones. What collections are you looking for? The most glaring gap to me is deaths. Many others are probably limited due to privacy issues.

I'll add there's something you can do: Go out and record as many headstones via BillionGraves or FindAGrave. I've done BG before. Grab your phone, download the app, locate a cemetery that's hasn't been done or is incomplete and go at it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Family History”