Receiving site Computers

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
mnorto3

Receiving site Computers

Post by mnorto3 »

Related question: We have had some small-box PC's that users have used for running the broadcast in other sites. What are you all doing for machines (other than borrowing someone's laptop in the Stake) to run the broadcast in other buildings? Thanks in advance!
- Mike (Syracuse Utah Bluff Stake)
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: Receiving site Computers

Post by jdlessley »

Moderator note: This thread was split from the Receiving site Browsers thread since the topics are different. Please follow the Code of Conduct and "Do not start a new topic in an existing thread; instead start a new thread."
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
mnorto3

Post by mnorto3 »

jdlessley wrote:Moderator note: This thread was split from the Receiving site Browsers thread since the topics are different. Please follow the Code of Conduct and "Do not start a new topic in an existing thread; instead start a new thread."
Thanks! First post.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

mnorto3 wrote:What are you all doing for machines (other than borrowing someone's laptop in the Stake) to run the broadcast in other buildings?
We have used two options. Borrow member laptops. Use one of the clerk administrative computers.
mnorto3

Post by mnorto3 »

lajackson wrote:
mnorto3 wrote:What are you all doing for machines (other than borrowing someone's laptop in the Stake) to run the broadcast in other buildings?
We have used two options. Borrow member laptops. Use one of the clerk administrative computers.
We have small thin-clients that were provided to us (from where: Unknown) that appear to be XP boxes and have been significantly restricted. From what I read, the new broadcast method requires Firefox-release 39 to function properly. I doubt these boxes have enough horses to support that broadcast, nor can I even have a way to install anything on them.

I agree that if we need them to perform the function, the church should purchase the equipment. Does anyone have a mini-pc or thin-client that they have used or that is recommended?
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

We just have to find members with laptops. Wish we had a dedicated device. Anxious to see how much power we really need with the new system. I talked to the help desk today and they said it's not as efficient of a codec as most commercial streams so requires a little more power. They did say that you don't need Firefox 39 anymore but rather anything above that is fine too. Hoping to test it tomorrow.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

It states that a quad-core is required.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

johnshaw wrote:It states that a quad-core is required.
That's what it said, but now it says only a dual-core is required (quad-core recommended), and others have said a dual-core worked fine for them (and the help desk said it should be fine at lower bandwidths).

So I tried the receive test tonight on my 2 year old dual-core i5 Win7 laptop. Initially I was a bit alarmed as the picture was horrible, but I noticed that the download bitrate was only 95 kbps. (Audio was fine though.) Eventually the download rate worked itself up to 836 and the picture was good. My CPU was between 15 and 20%, health stayed at 100.

Note that I was using Firefox 41.0.1.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
mnorto3

Post by mnorto3 »

After reading some of the delays that others had, I'm anxious to determine if I should just go back to the Meetinghouse Webcast for this one until the kinks are worked out. Right now, I still do not have a recommended solution from the church to replace the Meetinghouse Receivers. So far, I'm thinking of getting Windows think clients from newegg at about $180 a pop. Let me know if anyone knows anything else!
rolandc

Post by rolandc »

I would caution everyone to hold off till we see what the new streaming player is going to need/require
Roland

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”