Conference subtitles/closed caption

Discussions around receiving, originating, and holding Church broadcasts and conferences in meetinghouses including schedules, setup, equipment, and support.
lslitchfield

Conference subtitles/closed caption

Post by lslitchfield »

Hi,
So I'm down in Australia, we watch conference 6 days later, someone downloads the conference to a jump drive, and we project it in the chapel. We have a deaf sister in the ward, I am trying to get subtitles / closed caption. As far as I can tell the church doesn't offer this as a download, only as a stream, so there is no way for this sister to listen to conference with us.

Does anyone know if there are subtitle files available for download somewhere? Or should I start researching various ways to rip them from the website?

And, cause I know someone will bring it up, ASL stands for AMERICAN sign language. The sign language used down here is very very different.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Conference subtitles/closed caption

Post by russellhltn »

This thread should explain the problem and give one possible work-around.

I remember complaints in the past that American CC runs faster than what's found in other parts of the world. So you may still have some issues.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
paulw

Post by paulw »

sweeny

Post by sweeny »

the previous (Australian) writer mentioned a streaming (so I assume live) video of conference with subtitles, but I've been unable to find it. I serve in a YSA ward with several students from other countries, mostly in Asia. We would like to show the English-language conference broadcast with English subtitles for them. How do I find that?
thanks very much,
(Elder) Brent Sweeny
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

sweeny wrote:We would like to show the English-language conference broadcast with English subtitles for them. How do I find that?
BYUtv is covering conference live with subtitles. ( byutv.org )
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

sweeny wrote:the previous (Australian) writer mentioned a streaming (so I assume live) video of conference with subtitles, but I've been unable to find it. I serve in a YSA ward with several students from other countries, mostly in Asia. We would like to show the English-language conference broadcast with English subtitles for them. How do I find that?
Closed Caption can be found from a verity of sources. It depends on how you're receiving it. In many cases it's just a matter of activating the function for your existing method.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Broadcasts and Conferences”