Tithing Settlement

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Tithing Settlement

Post by lajackson »

A new notice today at the Official Communication Library shows that tithing settlement may begin as early as October 15 this year. Less year-end stress for busy bishops.
mfmohlma

Re: Tithing Settlement

Post by mfmohlma »

Awesome.

One little tidbit in the letter points clerks to http://lds.org/tithing-settlement, which supposedly redirects to help files for clerks. Someone must have been a little too greedy with the wildcard on the redirect filter, because that URL redirects to the new donation application... :) Feedback sent.
sdrakulich

Post by sdrakulich »

I'm a stake clerk and I was discussing tithing settlement with one of our bishops recently. Do you know if there will be any change this year with online donations being accepted? We were curious if individual or family financial summaries would look any different given the new online procedures. I'm inclined to think it would be the same as in previous years but I figured now would be a good time to prepare the bishops if there are going to be any changes due to the new online donation system. Thanks for any feedback.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

sdrakulich wrote:Do you know if there will be any change this year with online donations being accepted? We were curious if individual or family financial summaries would look any different given the new online procedures.
Online donations are treated as if they were handed to the bishopric in an envelope. I think the reports will all look the same. They should be individual summaries (some with the spouse named also), just as in the past.

One thing new to the Tithing Settlement announcement is the note that members can print out their own annual donation summaries at the LDS.org Donations site. While that is true, the clerk is still responsible to see that they get them. So unless a member tells the clerk they will print their own, I suppose he should print the whole lot.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

I can confirm that Online Donations show on the Ward's MLS. We have had quite a few in our ward (to the delight of the Bishopric) and each one is visible when you look at the View/Update Donations option in MLS.

Note: you cannot update any of the online ones, but you can view them. The Online Donation Number starts with "ON"
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

davesudweeks wrote:Note: you cannot update any of the online ones, but you can view them.
I hope you are referring to the member not being able to update a donation. The online help states donations can be edited to correct donation categories, but not total donation amount, in MLS by those with finance permissions.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

I am currently serving as Assistant Clerk - Finance. I am not in front of MLS right now, but I did pull up several Online Donation records in MLS last Wednesday. As I recall, everything was greyed out - I could not change anything on the online Donation Record.

I can edit Donations processed in MLS by the Clerks/Bishopric. I will check again the next time I am at the church and will update this thread with my findings.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Perhaps you cannot edit an Online Donation that was just made until the funds have actually transferred from the bank to the Church. So if I donated on a Thursday, it would show up in MLS on Friday but probably not be editable until the transaction completed after the funds transferred on Monday.

I suggest this as a guess. As you look at the dates of the donations, which will be the date the member initiated it, you may find a pattern there. Then again, it could be something totally different.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

davesudweeks wrote:I am currently serving as Assistant Clerk - Finance.
Just as a thought, you might ask the Ward Clerk to pull it up.

The FAQ for the on-line donation system says that you have to work with the local clerks to fix any problems with past donations, so that seems to be the plan. There's certainly no way I can see to fix my prior donation in the webpage.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:Just as a thought, you might ask the Ward Clerk to pull it up.
Our Ward Assistant Clerk -- Finances can edit them. He has just never checked closely to the date the member made the actual contribution.

And no, the member cannot do any editing at all at the Online Donations website.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”