How to creat an automatic 11 year old scout class on MLS that stays current?

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
mercedeye-p40

How to creat an automatic 11 year old scout class on MLS that stays current?

Post by mercedeye-p40 »

Any suggestions on setting up an automatic 11 year old scout class in Primary on MLS that stays current?
I can get a class set up by using "Add class" under Primary. When I choose minimum/maximum age 11 it doesn't list any class members. I'm assuming that this is because none are 11 during the whole year.
When I use minimum/maximum age 10 and 12, it shows the 11 year olds for the class. It also shows those who are 10 and 12. If I only select the checkboxes for those who are 11 and deselect the 10 and 12 year olds, the class looks good.
But what happens when the 10 year old turns 11. Since he is deselected, it doesn't seem like he will show up in the list when he is supposed to.
Is there an automatic way to have the 11 year old scouts (and Activity Days, too, for that matter) show up as an automatic class that stays current?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

mercedeye wrote:Any suggestions on setting up an automatic 11 year old scout class in Primary on MLS that stays current?
I can get a class set up by using "Add class" under Primary. When I choose minimum/maximum age 11 it doesn't list any class members. I'm assuming that this is because none are 11 during the whole year.
When I use minimum/maximum age 10 and 12, it shows the 11 year olds for the class. It also shows those who are 10 and 12. If I only select the checkboxes for those who are 11 and deselect the 10 and 12 year olds, the class looks good.
But what happens when the 10 year old turns 11. Since he is deselected, it doesn't seem like he will show up in the list when he is supposed to.
Is there an automatic way to have the 11 year old scouts (and Activity Days, too, for that matter) show up as an automatic class that stays current?

Unfortunately, the classes in MLS are oriented towards standard Primary and Sunday School classes, where the class is formed at the beginning of the year based on the members' age on January 1 and people don't join or leave the class just because they have a birthday during the year.

I guess the question would be why you are trying to set up a class for this purpose. 11-year-old scouts don't meet like Valiant 11s, for example. You can easily set up a custom report to list 11-year-old scouts, or girls in Activity Days. This would give you a class list that can be exactly like the list for an actual class. You may want to use the "on date" capability of Custom Reports to extend the list to be 11 year olds over a 16 month period, for example, so that you don't leave off the boy who will turn 11 tomorrow.

The only thing I can think of that you would not be able to do is to generate a class roll. However, the class you started to create with a 10 year old minimum and 12 year old maximum would be closer to what you want there, since a 10 year old on January 1 will join 11 year old scouts sometime during the year, and a 12 year old on December 31 will have beein in 11 year old scouts part of the year.
mercedeye-p40

Thanks

Post by mercedeye-p40 »

I was thinking of including 11 year old scouts and Activity Days girls when sending rolls out to the Primary each quarter. That way they would get a list of class members on a regular basis to make sure they were current.
I guess I'm really just looking for a class list.
Your custom report suggestion seems fine for that.

Thanks!

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”