Luxury of a request... I know

Discussions around the Gospel Library application for Windows for Desktop and Mobile

Moderator: BowmanDH

GoOakland

Luxury of a request... I know

Post by GoOakland »

Let me start off by making clear that I completely understand this to be a luxury request. Honestly, I feel there are several other, much more pressing issues, than this but I think it would be fantastic to have a vision or goal for pen support sometime down the road. I feel like there seems to be a growing trend within the PC manufacturers to have those convertible PC/tablets, 2 in 1, kinds of device. Many of these have pen support, especially with the popularity of OneNote.

So I would absolutely love to have pen support within the app. If I could write and draw on my scriptures just as I could on real paper scriptures I would be thrilled.

But once again, I consider that to be more of a goal for future platforms. I know how long it took for pen support to really mature and I imagine implementing it here would be terribly difficult.
Just want to throw that out there
marianomarini

Re: Luxury of a request... I know

Post by marianomarini »

This is a kind of request that pertain more to Operating System than Application.
If OS has pencil driver on it, then it'll be rather easy (nothing is really easy) to add such a feature.
ToManyLetters

Post by ToManyLetters »

GoOakland,

Your feature request is directly addressed in the FAQ:
2. My device has a pen. Why can't I just draw on the screen?

This is a really cool feature idea, but, at least at present, it doesn't appear to be feasible to implement because of the way text reflows in the application. Doing something as simple as adjusting font size or changing the snap or window size for Gospel Library would cause notes created by a pen to become distorted or out of place. We are, however, working on ideas that will still make the pen a valuable tool for study.
There is no way to draw directly on the screen, as noted in the FAQ question response. With the beta version of the app, however, there are some pen-unique features wrapped together under an option called "Live Pen" that allows you to highlight and underline much like you would with a regular scripture marker. "Free form" drawing is entirely impractical, however. Between screen reflow and cross-platform syncing issues, it's just not doable.
Learn more about Gospel Library for Windows 10 Beta at the link below:
https://tech.lds.org/wiki/Gospel_Library_for_Windows_10
amajeske

Post by amajeske »

I would like to have a note that I could free draw in and link to scriptures. Currently it supports text only.
ToManyLetters

Post by ToManyLetters »

The Gospel Library for Windows team have wanted to implement something like this since our first release of version 2. Unfortunately, the LDS.org Annotations Web Service (which we have no control over) doesn't support such a feature (and isn't likely to anytime soon), and because that service is used to connect the web, iOS, and Android versions of the app so that annotations sync, it's not something we can just add in, either.
Learn more about Gospel Library for Windows 10 Beta at the link below:
https://tech.lds.org/wiki/Gospel_Library_for_Windows_10

Return to “Gospel Library for Windows”