Donation for missionary in another country

Discussions about the Online Donation system.
AndersonSR

Donation for missionary in another country

Post by AndersonSR »

I have a member of my branch in Utah who wants to make donations to her daughters mission fund in Mexico. Is there some way in MLS to make a donation using the missionaries membership number and/or unit number?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Donation for missionary in another country

Post by lajackson »

AndersonSR wrote:I have a member of my branch in Utah who wants to make donations to her daughters mission fund in Mexico. Is there some way in MLS to make a donation using the missionaries membership number and/or unit number?
There is not a way in MLS. And as far as I have been able to determine, with the Online Donations system you can only donate to the missionary fund of a missionary whose record resides in a U.S. ward or branch.
AndersonSR

Post by AndersonSR »

That's too bad. I imagine the currency exchange would be a challenge, but it would be a great feature for members who have family members in another country they want to help since the mail system in some countries is very corrupt.

Thank you
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Is her daughter serving in Mexico, or is her home ward in Mexico, or both? Donations are generally paid through the ward she left from.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
AndersonSR

Post by AndersonSR »

Her daughter's home ward is in Mexico. She is serving in Costa Rica. The mother lives in Utah.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

If the mother is paying the whole mission, you might want to talk to the Missionary Department. They might be able to transfer the "unit responsible" to the mother's ward. (But, you might find the payment amount to be different. And probably not in the mother's favor.)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
AndersonSR

Post by AndersonSR »

Good thought. Thanks
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

russellhltn wrote:If the mother is paying the whole mission, you might want to talk to the Missionary Department. They might be able to transfer the "unit responsible" to the mother's ward. (But, you might find the payment amount to be different. And probably not in the mother's favor.)
Absolutely. The Funding Unit could be changed if the majority of the funding is coming from the mother and her ward. That could have been specified in the online missionary submission.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
ljrendon

Post by ljrendon »

What is the a best way to make donations for missionaries whose records are from branches/wards outside the U.S? Are there plans to include this feature in future online donations?
AndersonSR

Post by AndersonSR »

From what I have seen from the replies to my original message, there is not a way to make a donation to the home ward through MLS. The only option is to see about having the "Funding Unit" for her daughters mission reassigned from her home ward in Mexico to my branch in Utah, if her mother will be funing the majority of the mission.

Return to “Online Donations”