Gospel Principles page numbers...

Discussions around the Gospel Library application for Windows for Desktop and Mobile

Moderator: BowmanDH

pahollow

Gospel Principles page numbers...

Post by pahollow »

Is it possible to have page numbers in all student or class manuals in general and/or Gospel Principles in particular? The reason is because in all classes increasingly there is a mix of hard and soft copies being used. If teachers are teaching a class (e.g. Gospel Principles) and someone with either the Windows Gospel Library (WinGL) or a hard copy need to know what page they are on. Now of course participants should know what page they are on but for WinGL to be truly content equivalent, page numbers need to be in all content including the Scriptures for that matter!
ToManyLetters

Re: Gospel Principles page numbers...

Post by ToManyLetters »

The app development team doesn't control the content in any way. We simply show what has been made available for the app via the content team--an entirely separate team from ours that works within the Church Office Building. The content team has been actively working toward supplying high-quality gospel library content for all the languages they can. Features like page numbers are regularly added to older content as the team is able to get to them, but their team is quite occupied with a major update to the content source.
Learn more about Gospel Library for Windows 10 Beta at the link below:
https://tech.lds.org/wiki/Gospel_Library_for_Windows_10
lmcguire

Post by lmcguire »

pahallow,

While it may seem awkward at first, I've found that if you ask the teacher for the section name/title and/or paragraph number, they don't mind, and soon get used to providing both pieces of information so that everyone can find the location. (I wouldn't necessarily expect participants to know what page we're on since the teacher can always jump around in the lesson.)

FWIW,

Liz
pahollow

Post by pahollow »

Good points Letters and Imcguire. I guess I am a little old school because I "cut my teeth" teaching in the CES's seminary and institute programs and page numbers help some people especially non member investigators and the like who are less familiar with how LDS content is laid out. We do have page numbers in some content (like Teachings of Presidents) but not Gospel Principles. So I am just saying that layout consistency across all LDS content would be most appreciated - that's all. The WinGL is great and except for a few weird anomalies like slow start up, disappearing text when scrolling and not being able tab browse yet, it is a good start. Thanks for all of your good work!
lmcguire

Post by lmcguire »

I agree, pahollow (sorry for the previous misspelling). And I think the content team now understand the importance of page numbers in the electronic content (whereas originally, they probably couldn't see the point until someone explained / experienced this exact scenario). I'm sure they include them for any new content, and are gradually making their way through the old stuff that was added before this understanding. Hopefully they have enough folk with enough time to work on this. (This type of work is something I think deserves prayers from the rest of us on their behalf.)

Liz

Return to “Gospel Library for Windows”