Suggestions for online donations

Discussions about the Online Donation system.
bhoth

Post by bhoth »

Hi, I would like to make 2 suggestions for the online donations website.

1. Have a Memo box for the donation. Example: Tithing for paycheck on Aug 14. Then when I look at payment history, I would want to see the memo in the history report.

2. Be able to change the date of the donation. Right now when I enter a donation, the only option is today. I want to be able to post date the donation to say next Monday etc.

Thank you!
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Suggestions for online donations

Post by lajackson »

bhoth wrote:Hi, I would like to make 2 suggestions for the online donations website.
To get suggestions to those who make the decisions concerning these matters, please send them through a Feedback link at the LDS.org site. Here at the Forum we can discuss and suggest and agree and disagree, but those who make the decisions very rarely see anything here.

And for the record, I like the suggestion about being able to use a date other than "today".
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

Since online donations do not support recurring items, I doubt they will ever support future items (post-dated checks) either.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
bhoth

Post by bhoth »

lajackson wrote:
bhoth wrote:Hi, I would like to make 2 suggestions for the online donations website.
To get suggestions to those who make the decisions concerning these matters, please send them through a Feedback link at the LDS.org site. Here at the Forum we can discuss and suggest and agree and disagree, but those who make the decisions very rarely see anything here.

And for the record, I like the suggestion about being able to use a date other than "today".
Thank you, I have submitted feedback as you have recommended.
mevans

Post by mevans »

There is also the option to use bill pay. That's not through the web site. You can set a specific date in the future will bill pay. It's an option that has been around for a long time and people here asked us not to publicize it, but there was some recent discussion that it's no longer discouraged (although I don't know that it's encouraged).
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Bank bill pay is still available for the asking. Online Donations is preferred, but it will be the end of the year before it is available in all of the U.S.
SmileyGwendolyn

Post by SmileyGwendolyn »

I paid my tithing online on 9-14-15. I noticed a -$5 on my bank receipt when I went to it later that day. When I called today about it, I was told that the church donation had attempted to come out of my savings account in which I don't have any money, instead of my checking account where I keep my money and do all my transactions. The bank person on the phone was able to refund the insufficient funds charge, for which I am grateful.
Then I called the church offices about it. The man told me that he would suggest that if the online tithe payer does not notice and check one of the boxes indicating that the donation should come out of the savings or checking accounts, that a red "!" would appear and not allow the donation process to complete until it was done. That is a good idea! Besides, I would think that if a person doesn't check either box that the default setting would go to checking instead of savings since most people used to write checks to pay their tithing! And since most banks give very little if any interest these days, most savings accounts have little money in them. The man at church offices also told me that if I'd take the time to also suggest this online, that you'd pay more attention to me as I'm a user of this online donation service.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

SmileyGwendolyn wrote:The man at church offices also told me that if I'd take the time to also suggest this online, that you'd pay more attention to me as I'm a user of this online donation service.
Most likely he was referring to the LDS.org Feedback page:
https://www.lds.org/tools/feedback/?lang=eng
If you submit feedback through there, your comments are routed to the correct department. If several people submit similar feedback, it's more likely to get attention.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
martindad

Post by martindad »

I love the idea of the online donations system, but I cannot use it. My personal calendar is such that I rely on the recurring payments feature of my bank's online bill-pay system. My payroll is the same amount each week, soI have my bank automatically send a check to my bishop the same day for my tithing. If I switched to this new system, I would have to remember to do this myself each week, since you do not offer a recurring payments feature. Please add this feature as soon as possible - I want to use it because this new system will solve several problems for me: 1. My bishop actually loses some of the tithing checks sent to him. For example, he moved last year (to a new house within the ward) and several checks were sent to his old address before I found out his new address. He never deposited those checks (they were lost in the move somehow) and I had to re-issue them when I found out about it. 2. This system is much more helpful than doing it through my bank's bill-pay system because my bank does not allow me to put memos on my payments which tell my bishop the breakdown of my payment. 3. I can print my own donation statements at any time without inconveniencing my ward officers to do it for me. Again, PLEASE add a recurring payments feature to this service so that I can use it!
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

To summarize:
1. You don't want to have to remember to login to lds.org each week to pay your tithes and offerings.
2. You want the bishop to remember to bring your check from his home to the meetinghouse.
3. You want the clerk to fill out a donation slip and return the yellow copy to you.
A possible work-around is for you to ask your bank to mail that check to your home address each week. Then you could fill out your own donation slip, put the white copy into a donation envelope with your check, and give it to a member of the bishopric.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska

Return to “Online Donations”