Transferring myldsmail emails to gmail (via POP?)

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
samcgoodrich

Transferring myldsmail emails to gmail (via POP?)

Post by samcgoodrich »

I just returned from my mission, and want to move my emails from my myldsmail account to my regular gmail account. The only problem, is that the POP system will not connect with the myldsmail account. I've tried using different servers (pop.myldsmail.net, smtp.gmail.com) and different ports (995. 993) with no success. I've tried turning off the "Always use a secure connection when retrieving mail." option as well with no different results.

Does anyone know how to do this? Is there maybe some option besides POP?
kisaac
Community Moderators

Re: Transferring myldsmail emails to gmail (via POP?)

Post by kisaac »

Welcome home! I'm not a developer or help desk employee, just a dad who watched his son do it.

Did you receive the "instructions" email AND password to transfer these emails yet? It should come from the church to your MYLDSMAIL missionary inbox, warning you to transfer the emails if you wish before the account access is removed. IMPORTANT: You can't transfer them BEFORE this email arrives because you need a password it provides.
The password you need IS NOT your myldsmail password, but is unique just for the purpose of transferring your emails. It may take a week or two (if I remember right) for this email to show up, but we followed it exactly for my son, and it worked just great. It gives you the pop servers and detailed instructions to use as well.

May good fortune and blessings follow you as you choose the next path for your life!
"A soft answer turneth away wrath" works great on LDSTech forum boards!
csbrew2

Post by csbrew2 »

Use this and follow all the instructions, especially the 'Unlock Captcha' and the 'allow less secure apps'. When I did that, it allowed the import without a problem

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/78754
SingerGuy

Post by SingerGuy »

The following information is the official support document for MyLDSMail:

Summary

User has completed his/her mission and wants to transfer the emails from their MyLDSMail account to a personal one. Missionaries are allowed to POP their email upon completion of their mission, this is how.

Self Support

The MyLDSMail settings are tied to the release date of that missionary. This date is set by the Missionary department when they are called. So, their actual release date from the mission may be earlier than this date. Once they are officially released (by their mission) they will be identified as released.

After this, every time they login to MyLDSMail (http://myldsmail.net) they will be given instructions along with a password to use for POP (see below). The password is different from their LDS Account and is by design (given to them when they login with their LDSAccount). The POP settings will also be given upon the system recognizing that they are officially released.

So, give it 2-3 weeks until the Missionary system shows they are released and their LDS Account is updated to show they are no longer a full time missionary. Then just login to http://myldsmail.net and you will have instructions on how to POP your MyLDSMail.net email to another system.

There is no way to POP the account early.
There is no way to speed up the process.

Instructions:

The following are the instructions given to a missionary upon logging into their MyLDSMail.net accounts:

Saving Your Mission E-mail

Elder/Sister/Missionary, thank you for your service. Your MyLDSMail account has been disabled because your mission has ended or for another reason. This means that you will be able still be able to sign in and receive e-mail, but you will not be able to send e-mail.

If you wish to preserve your MyLDSMail messages you can move all of them to a personal e-mail account. You will do this using POP, Post Office Protocol, which means retrieving all messages from one e-mail account and moving them to another. Here are the technical details you need to do this:

• POP Server: pop.gmail.com
  • User Name: their.address@myldsmail.net
  • Password: ########## (usually a 10-digit, randomly assigned password)
  • Note: Your user name is your full e-mail address. This password is different than the LDS Account password you've been using to sign in. It is a unique password that allows Google to identify you. Please write this information down and save it.

Google provides the following configuration instructions for migrating your mail to another Gmail account or program installed on your computer. If using another provider (Yahoo, Hotmail, etc.) please use their instructions on how to import POP e-mail. You can also print each message by selecting Print All in the top right corner.

The port number used is 995 and requires SSL encryption. Remember that the username is the full e-mail address. Clicking on the link to 'configuration instructions' opens a Google Help page with options to configure it in Outlook, Entourage, etc. To POP the messages into another Gmail account, go to Settings > Accounts and Import > Import mail and contacts and enter in the settings as described.

Note: By default, the option to save a copy of the emails in the MyLDSMail.net account instead of deleting them from the server is NOT selected. This is because pop.gmail.com settings do not support saving a copy of those emails. If the missionary tries to keep a copy of the emails, they will see "Error: This account cannot be imported right now, try again later." They will not be able to finish setting up the account until they uncheck the option to save a copy of the emails.

If that does not complete after that security settings may needs to be changed for the account.

• Open a browser and go to Google.com and SIGN OUT of any account already logged in.
  • In the same browser session log in to MyLDSMail.net with the user’s LDSAccount and password.
  • Open a NEW TAB in that same browser and go to https://myaccount.google.com/security.
  • Verify that the user in the upper-right corner is the MyLDSMail account then scroll down to the bottom of the page. Locate “Allow less secure apps” and turn this ON.
  • SIGN OUT of both MyLDSMail.net and Google.
  • Log in to the Gmail account that email is to be imported into and configure the POP settings.
  • Mail should begin flowing from MyLDSMail.net to gmail.com.

One personal note from SingerGuy. Google only allows POP access to the Inbox and not to any other folders. The only way to get all email including other labeled folders and Sent mail is to view all items, check the Select All box at the top, just below the search bar, then look for a message to pop up with a yellow background above the message list that says something similar to this:

All 50 conversations on this page are selected. Select all 2,218 conversations in Primary.

Click on the link to select all conversations and the message will change to:

All 2,218 conversations in All Mail are selected. Clear selection

Now click on the box above the Subjects that says, "Move to Inbox." This will apply the Inbox tag to all of your messages. It is also recommended that when setting up the POP access in MyLDSMail that the setting should be to move messages to Archive after the mail is POP'ed to the other account so that if there is a problem with the process it is easier to see which messages were transferred and which were not.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Thanks for posting this!
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

SingerGuy wrote:Google provides the following configuration instructions for migrating your mail to another Gmail account or program installed on your computer. If using another provider (Yahoo, Hotmail, etc.) please use their instructions on how to import POP e-mail. You can also print each message by selecting Print All in the top right corner.
Just a slight correction to a great post. The above link is for instructions to export email via POP from one Gmail account to another Gmail account, or to an email client, such as Outlook or Thunderbird. The configuration instructions to import email from another POP server (such as MyLDSMail) into a Gmail account can be found here...

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/21289

Halfway down the page, expand the topic for "A different email provider" and follow the instructions.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
e.nakayu

Post by e.nakayu »

If that does not complete after that security settings may needs to be changed for the account.
  • Open a browser and go to Google.com and SIGN OUT of any account already logged in.
  • In the same browser session log in to MyLDSMail.net with the user’s LDSAccount and password.
  • Open a NEW TAB in that same browser and go to https://myaccount.google.com/security.
  • Verify that the user in the upper-right corner is the MyLDSMail account then scroll down to the bottom of the page. Locate “Allow less secure apps” and turn this ON.
  • Log in to the Gmail account that email is to be imported into and configure the POP settings.
It won't let me do that. It says: This setting is managed by your domain administrator.

:(
SingerGuy

Post by SingerGuy »

e.nakayu wrote:
It won't let me do that. It says: This setting is managed by your domain administrator.

:(
Since that post was originally created Google has changed their approach to the less secure apps. This is now controlled at the domain level and not by the users. This instruction should now be ignored as being obsolete.
taulealoen

Post by taulealoen »

What happens if I didn't POP my ldsmail in time? Can I still retrieve it if it's been 6 months or is it gone forever and it sucks to be me?
SingerGuy

Post by SingerGuy »

taulealoen wrote:What happens if I didn't POP my ldsmail in time? Can I still retrieve it if it's been 6 months or is it gone forever and it sucks to be me?
Google usually deletes it, so your second opinion would be the more correct one. However, in this specific instance it has not been deleted yet. I just turned your account back on. Please POP it today before it gets automatically turned off during our next synchronization.
Last edited by SingerGuy on Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Discussions”