Search Library, Go to Notes, Reference not listed

Discussions around the Android version of the Gospel Library application.
BJamin@1993

Search Library, Go to Notes, Reference not listed

Post by BJamin@1993 »

First off thank you, thank you, thank you. I love the Gospel App on my Kindle HD. It is a most useful tool. I am truly sorry that there seems to me a move to remove devices from Sunday worship. My paper scriptures aren't nearly as functional as my Kindle.

Now my issue. I have looked around the Forum but I don't see this reported. My apologies if I missed it in my search. Perhaps this item belongs on the 'wish list'.
From some scripture hit the magnifying glass to search. Select "Search Library", enter a word or phrase, tap go and the app returns results, specifically "Notes". Tap notes to get more results, again select "Note". Now I have a handful of notes that I have entered. At this point I also want to see the reference where I was when I made the note, the reference currently does not display. I know that information is there because if I look at the same data via LDS.org I can see the same note with the reference associated with the note. Being able to navigate from the note back to the reference would be most useful.
lmcguire

Re: Search Library, Go to Notes, Reference not listed

Post by lmcguire »

BJamin@1993 wrote:First off thank you, thank you, thank you. I love the Gospel App on my Kindle HD. It is a most useful tool..
The developers don't necessarily hang out here (this is a user-to-user forum), but hopefully they will see your comments - we are all big fans of their work!
BJamin@1993 wrote:I am truly sorry that there seems to me a move to remove devices from Sunday worship. My paper scriptures aren't nearly as functional as my Kindle.
IMO, if you're seeing this, it may be at a local level. The only things I've seen, at any level, are encouragements to use the devices appropriately, and to not use them during the actual ordinance of the sacrament. For many people, reading the scriptures on a device seems to be too subject to distraction - push notifications constantly reduce their concentration, or take them out of the scriptures altogether, and their study is not as high quality as it would be if they used paper. (It's also a fairly well-documented fact that using these devices shortens people's attention spans.) For others, this isn't a concern - they either disable stuff, or don't use services which intrude like that. I think the general concern is related to those things - the Lord doesn't want us casually skimming the scriptures - He wants us studying them, so leadership warn us of the dangers...
BJamin@1993 wrote:From some scripture hit the magnifying glass to search. Select "Search Library", enter a word or phrase, tap go and the app returns results, specifically "Notes". Tap notes to get more results, again select "Note". Now I have a handful of notes that I have entered. At this point I also want to see the reference where I was when I made the note, the reference currently does not display. I know that information is there because if I look at the same data via LDS.org I can see the same note with the reference associated with the note. Being able to navigate from the note back to the reference would be most useful.
Did you load a specific note, or only view the list of notes? Just to confirm, when you say "where I was", you mean what verse / paragraph / section is highlighted to contain the note, right?

When I do this, on my Samsung Galaxy Note 3, from the search results, I tap "Notes"; under there, I have one category - "Highlight" - so I tap that; in there, I get a list of items, and under each is the reference (the book, chapter, verse; talk; or whatever). (If the search result is a journal entry - no reference to a book / talk / whatever, then I get a reference line which shows the title of the journal entry. So maybe it's device or version specific:

1) Are you on the latest version of Gospel Library (3.2.9.0)? (If you had to side-load the APK, you may need to update.)

2) Does your Kindle HD have a version or model number or something which will help those in the know figure out if it's device specific?

Later today, I can try this on a Samsung Galaxy Note 8.

Liz

Return to “Android Gospel Library”