Best way to inject audio into webcast

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
aclawson

Best way to inject audio into webcast

Post by aclawson »

As we set up for Stake Conference I have the camera up and running for about an hour before the actual start so the remote units can check their configurations. During this time there are long stretches of time when there is no real audio being broadcast - no choir, no prelude music, not really much of anything.

It looks to me like I should split the incoming camera run and route the other leg to the AUX in side of the AVDH 1, then inject an audio stream into the AUX IN audio port and switch over.

Is this the best way to do this or is anybody doing anything else?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Best way to inject audio into webcast

Post by russellhltn »

aclawson wrote:It looks to me like I should split the incoming camera run
Keep in mind you can't split a camera (baseband video) signal with a passive splitter like you can with RF. You'd need a small distribution amp.

I'd discuss the situation with the stake president and propose to play recorded prelude music during times of no audio. This has the advantages of minimizing the changes needed on your end for the broadcast - which give less opportunity for problems to appear on your end.

An alternative is to records the satellite pre-roll on DVD and play that back - at least for the first half hour of the one-hour pre-broadcast. There's a satellite broadcast today. Pre-roll at 1PM and 3PM MDT.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aclawson

Post by aclawson »

It would be preferred to show the live shot of the chapel with overlaid audio - we have a gorgeous pipe organ and that way people can comment/adjust based on the actual lighting conditions within our building.

So the question of how to inject the music - we have an line in jack at the podium but going back/forth to that point is not ideal so it would be better to inject it at the AVDH1.

I'll have to trace the wiring to figure out how things are set up - as of now the camera feeds into both the AVDH1 and the channel six modulator on the rack so there is obviously some point where I can tap in.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aclawson wrote:So the question of how to inject the music - we have an line in jack at the podium but going back/forth to that point is not ideal so it would be better to inject it at the AVDH1.
You're not using a mixer for choir or organ mics? If not, then I'd use the line-in jack. Just use a cable to extend it to somewhere more convenient. Or if you have a mic jack in the back, use an adapter and use that.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”