List of Membership Record Numbers

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
fiauir

List of Membership Record Numbers

Post by fiauir »

Bretheren,

On the lds.org website under the "Clerk & Leadership Resources" section, is there a way to view/print a list of membership record numbers (MRN) for a particular auxiliary? In this case, I'm trying to print a list of MRN's for both our Young Men & Young Women auxiliaries (they're participating in a Family History Stake Activity and need their MRN's to do so).

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated!

If not, looks like I'll have to go to the chapel to use MLS to create a custom report for what I need...

Thanks!
RON FIAUI :ugeek:
Ward Clerk
Hau'ula 5th Samoan Ward
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: List of Membership Record Numbers

Post by russellhltn »

Make sure the bishop approves of this. MRNs are considered sensitive information.

With the addition of on-line donations, an MRN may be considered an "Account number ... that would permit access to an individual's financial account." That could mean that someone misplacing the list could be considered a data breach and requires reporting under Hawaii Law. Tread carefully.

For others reading this message, a good resource to check the laws in your state can be found here.

Note that a MRN is NOT required to create a LDS Account or to access FamiliySearch. The absence of the MRN will limit what one can see, such as ordnance data. But the MRN can be added later. As such, I'm not sure as it's necessary to have the youth's MRN on-hand to them to participate in the activity.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

Another option is to have them create their LDS Accounts ahead of time. Their parents can look up their MRN's on lds.org/directory. For those 13 and under (I think that is the correct age) they'll need their parent's permission to create the account anyway.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

jonesrk wrote:Another option is to have them create their LDS Accounts ahead of time. Their parents can look up their MRN's on lds.org/directory. For those 13 and under (I think that is the correct age) they'll need their parent's permission to create the account anyway.
I would second that idea. Youth leaders around our stake kept bringing youth into our FHC and expecting the FHC workers to help the youth create their LDS Accounts while they were there. That didn't work.
So a counselor in our bishopric looked up all the youth MRNs, and held a youth activity at his home. While most of the kids were working on a group project, he called them to his dining room table one at a time, and had them either login to their LDS account, or create their LDS account. That way, they all had access to FamilySearch before they set foot in the FHC.

Our only complaint at that point was that the parents of the youth did not provide enough information about their living ancestors to allow them to link to their deceased ancestors in Family Tree. That left the youth in limbo.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
mevans

Post by mevans »

russellhltn wrote:With the addition of on-line donations, an MRN may be considered an "Account number ... that would permit access to an individual's financial account." That could mean that someone misplacing the list could be considered a data breach and requires reporting under Hawaii Law. Tread carefully.
MRN=Account Number has interesting ramifications I hadn't considered. Does that mean the church is going to have to be in the business of resetting MRNs if your number has been breached? I'm not sure what all someone could do with your account, but I suppose your bank account could get drained by making unapproved donations to the LDS Church. If your MRN is reset, that might mean you need a new temple recommend, also.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mevans wrote:Does that mean the church is going to have to be in the business of resetting MRNs if your number has been breached?
Good question. We'll have to see what happens.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”