Improper use of photos

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
thetallguy

Improper use of photos

Post by thetallguy »

Pictures of my family member were taken from Facebook and posted in the ward directory. :( :o
How can I prevent people from putting photos of me, and my family members, in the ward directory? :!:
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Improper use of photos

Post by russellhltn »

Speak to your bishop. From a technical standpoint, there's nothing to prevent someone who have rights to upload to the directory (the bishopric, clerks, executive secretary, ward website administrator) from doing this. So your best course of action is to make sure they all understand your wishes.

However, you do have control over the privacy settings and who can see your information. More details in the help help file.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:Speak to your bishop. From a technical standpoint, there's nothing to prevent someone who have rights to upload to the directory . . . from doing this.
But they need your consent to do it properly.
thetallguy

Post by thetallguy »

Speak to your bishop. From a technical standpoint, there's nothing to prevent someone who have rights to upload to the directory (the bishopric, clerks, executive secretary, ward website administrator) from doing this. So your best course of action is to make sure they all understand your wishes.
Someone who has rights?!?! So the church's stand on this is that local yahoos can put whatever they want and say it is a picture of me and there is nothing I can do about it?

Obviously it is not required to get my concent before posting.

Looking through the help, I don't see a privacy setting for nobody.

You would think that if this was a properly designed tool that there would be an option to allow the user to lock his/her items from being edited by others (the admin would then only be able to remove content, but not provide content)
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

alanmerrill wrote:Someone who has rights?!?! So the church's stand on this is that local yahoos can put whatever they want and say it is a picture of me and there is nothing I can do about it?
You can certainly remove the photo yourself. Go to the lds.org/directory, select My Household on the left hand side, click on the Edit button at the top of the right side, find the photo on the right hand side and click the Remove link below the photo.
alanmerrill wrote:Obviously it is not required to get my concent before posting.
By policy it is required and the Directory does have a (fairly large) section of text that shows up before a picture is uploaded that makes this clear. Unfortunately, people often get used to skipping by this kind of legal looking text. It's hard to protect against that.

However, I'm sure if you let your bishop know your wishes and also that you are dismayed that someone did not follow policy, he will make sure that everyone with admin rights (which isn't a large group) knows both your wishes and the policy.
alanmerrill wrote:Looking through the help, I don't see a privacy setting for nobody.
There are a number of privacy settings but you'll only see them for your own household (using the My Household view mentioned above). Click on the Edit button and you have the following options:
  • Set all information about your household so that only leadership can see it (at the very top of the right hand section).
  • Set your address, phone number and/or email address as only visible to leadership (below each of those items).
  • Set your photo so it can only be seen by leadership (under the photo).
alanmerrill wrote:You would think that if this was a properly designed tool that there would be an option to allow the user to lock his/her items from being edited by others (the admin would then only be able to remove content, but not provide content)
I expect if this kind of thing happened often there would be such an option. But by and large people do follow the rules.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

Someone who has rights?!?! So the church's stand on this is that local yahoos can put whatever they want and say it is a picture of me and there is nothing I can do about it?
Now, I'm not saying what was done is totally and completely wrong-headed, stupid and inappropriate, it certainly was, why not go to the Bishop and ask them why it happened. In fact, if it were me, I'd bring it up in a large priesthood setting like an opening exercises so that everyone in the room can understand that your local Bishopric is very loose in their ideas of peoples privacy, etc... Again, they very well may have said that if you don't have something uploaded by _date_ or don't do it yourself, we'll get one and post it, please let us know if you don't want us to do this.

But you do realize that you're calling the local Bishopric and/or Stake Presidency yahoos correct? I realize we're only seeing one side of the story, I'd give them the benefit of the doubt that they've asked over and over to have pictures voluntarily uploaded to the site. I'm always curious why members of the church have an issue with this. The only thing a picture can do is help us be a better community together. It's not like the pictures are being uploaded to a service that is generating money from add revenue. My guess is that people who feel this way have an internet connection where a local ISP is taking EVERYTHING about them and selling it to the highest bidder. They have no problem uploading to facebook, pictures of their families, where apparently any old 'yahoo' can download them... They have their tithes and offerings statement, their recommend status, other personal data about them...Seriously, how is there an issue that the church directory have a picture (that you voluntarily upload or have uploaded)?
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
thetallguy

Post by thetallguy »

I appreciate your post, eblood66.

Of course I have removed all the photos.
Of course I am only dealing with my family entries.
Of course there are settings to make the view limited.

My question is, and has always been, around preventing others from posting images of me (and my family) in the directory. I want NO photos. I am not looking to have photos with limited visibility.

As was illustrated in the first reply, the church is unwilling to secure such things.

I really don't want to have to login every week and check that someone has not upload more photos, but I guess that is part of enduring to the end.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

thetallguy wrote:I really don't want to have to login every week and check that someone has not upload more photos, but I guess that is part of enduring to the end.
You can submit feedback with a suggestion to allow a lock down using any Feedback link on lds.org. The church does take privacy very seriously so your suggestion could very well be implemented eventually.

Something else you can do even now is to create an image with some text such as 'Please do not upload any picture for my family', upload that as your photo and set the visibility to leadership only. Normal members won't see it but leaders with admin rights will. It would not provide a technical barrier but I very much doubt any leader would then replace it with a real picture.
thetallguy

Post by thetallguy »

johnshaw,
Yes, I do realize am referring to
(the bishopric, clerks, executive secretary, ward website administrator)
as yahoos. I am not referring to them as leaders.
I do not want the church to associate my name with any image.
I want it to stop.
thetallguy

Post by thetallguy »

Excellent Idea about the "Don't Upload" photo, eblood66

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”