[USA] Move out doesn't give USPS address correction?

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
mevans

[USA] Move out doesn't give USPS address correction?

Post by mevans »

I moved a family out of our ward yesterday. I was surprised that LCR didn't prompt me with a USPS standardized address for a move out (within USA) as it does for a move-in. Then it turns out the family followed up with me because they gave me the incorrect zip code. I'd already moved the records, so I emailed the ward clerk in the new ward so he can fix it. I do a lot more move ins than move outs. I was totally expecting that I'd be prompted with the USPS correction, so I didn't bother to look it up first. Is there a reason LCR doesn't offer to correct addresses on move outs?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: [USA] Move out doesn't give USPS address correction?

Post by russellhltn »

mevans wrote:Is there a reason LCR doesn't offer to correct addresses on move outs?
What would you do if it offered a correction? More then likely it's in an area outside your area of knowledge. If it told you the zip code was incorrect, would it be the wrong zip, or the wrong city? Both might have the same street address. I wonder if it flags the error to the ward receiving the records?

Presumably on a move-in, you know the area or can easily look it up. Also, you'd still have contact with the members to straighten out any errors.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mevans

Post by mevans »

Those are good points. If it offered a correction, I could see if it makes sense or if it was wildly different, in which case I could cancel the move and consult with the member for additional clarification. If it at least alerted me, I could research it a bit more before pressing OK or choosing one of the options.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Yeah, and the weakness of my argument is if the city and zip doesn't match, how does the system know it's going to the right ward?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mevans

Post by mevans »

I just moved records out this morning and I did get a USPS address correction suggestion. So, either they quickly added this feature or I was previously moving out membership records while asleep and didn't notice the screen. Anyway, I was happy to see the address correction screen!

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”