Part-member families

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
drepouille

Part-member families

Post by drepouille »

I searched property records and was able to find the names of non-LDS spouses of several less-active members in my ward. I forwarded that information to my ward clerk. He said he was not able to enter those names into MLS because he can no longer create records for non-members. I understand that, but surely there is a way to add the names of non-LDS spouses, parents, and children to a member' record. What am I missing?
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Part-member families

Post by aebrown »

drepouille wrote:I searched property records and was able to find the names of non-LDS spouses of several less-active members in my ward. I forwarded that information to my ward clerk. He said he was not able to enter those names into MLS because he can no longer create records for non-members. I understand that, but surely there is a way to add the names of non-LDS spouses, parents, and children to a member' record. What am I missing?
There are two issues here, both of which can still be done independent of creating nonmember records.

First, information about a nonmember spouse may be added to a member's record. Indeed, that's the only way that the member will appear in MLS or LCR to be married. This also has the effect of causing the nonmember spouse to appear in the Directory.

Second, a membership record can contain references to nonmember children and parents. This is genealogical information for those direct relatives of the member. This designation of children or parents can refer to members or nonmembers; it has nothing to do with household members. It appears that your ward clerk is confused about that distinction and is trying to add them as household members, rather than simply as children and parents.
halpotter

Post by halpotter »

aebrown:

you said there is a way to add information about a nonmember spouse to a member's reccord. How do you do it? I have looked in LCR and cannot find a way to show a sister in our ward is married to a nonmember spouse.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

halpotter wrote:aebrown:

you said there is a way to add information about a nonmember spouse to a member's reccord. How do you do it? I have looked in LCR and cannot find a way to show a sister in our ward is married to a nonmember spouse.
He is referring to recording the marriage. That is done in MLS. This cannot be currently done in LCR. The nonmember spouse may show in the online Directory once the marriage is properly recorded.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
halpotter

Post by halpotter »

Have not tried MLS, but saw a post on another tread that said you can no longer do that in MLS now that LCR is live with memberships info. Can you still do it in MLS? I will try it tomorrow to see if we can add the nonmember spouse in MLS. I have looked for info in the help center and LDSTech wiki, that is where i saw the posts about MLS.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

halpotter wrote:Have not tried MLS, but saw a post on another tread that said you can no longer do that in MLS now that LCR is live with memberships info.
Only some things have moved to LCR. Specifically calling and HT/VT management and record moves (in and out) have moved exclusively to LCR. A few things are available in both (mostly updating contact information). But a few membership related functions are still only available in MLS. This includes recording ordinances and blessings, creating records and recording relationships (parents, children, and spouse).

What you saw in another thread was probably something related to callings, HT/VT or record moves.
halpotter

Post by halpotter »

thank you. I will have our ward clerk go to MLS and see if he can fix it.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jdlessley wrote:The nonmember spouse will show in the online Directory once the marriage is properly recorded.
I'd change that to "may". If it does not, you'd need to contact CHQ to make it happen.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Membership Help”