Ward photo uploads seems broken

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
mscollins

Ward photo uploads seems broken

Post by mscollins »

I cannot upload and approve member photos today.

I am the ward website administrator and for the last few months have been taking member photos and posting the each Sunday to the ward directory and approving them to populate our directory. I always use the iPad LDS Tools app and have had no problems until today.

All day long iI try and post pictures and using the iPad LDS Tools app and I get as far as the photo upload and just get a neverending "Uploading photo" progress meter or, when I back out and try again for the same picture I then get "Warning--Unable to upload image, please try again later" message. I am using the same method, the same photos and photo source that I have been using successfully for months.

When I email the photo to my gmail account and download it on my Apple Macbook Air and use my Google Chrome browser to log into LDS.org I try to upload the photo. It says it has uploaded. So then I go to the "New Photos" in the directory and I see a place for the new photo(s) I just uploaded but no image?

Please help. I have dozens of images I captured today that I need to upload and approve.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Ward photo uploads seems broken

Post by russellhltn »

It's likely a back end service that has failed. Usually these things are discovered and fixed when everyone comes to work on Monday. I'd wait until mid-morning Utah time before getting concerned.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
kellymab

Post by kellymab »

I noticed the same thing today. My guess is that since BYU starts tomorrow, the church servers were bogged down with all the YSA wards trying to request records/ add profile pictures. LDS tools was also sluggish updating today (and even the forum at times). I'm waiting until after BYUI starts in mid September or working during the week to upload pictures for members in my ward. Don't forget to send feedback so that developers can see multiple people having issues.
mscollins

Post by mscollins »

It is still broken today. I still cannot upload pictures either from LDS Tools on my iPad or from LDS.org from my computer. Please help.....
kellymab

Post by kellymab »

Be patient. Remember this forum is user to user help. Developers rarely visit to read comments. Make sure to send feedback in the LDS Tools app. You can find it under the help screen. I sent feedback yesterday, but sometimes it takes a while to hear back.

There may be only one developer assigned to the project and they may have several projects they work on.

I understand the urgency of wanting to get the pictures up, I have between 2-3 dozen waiting to upload myself.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

kellymab wrote:Make sure to send feedback in the LDS Tools app.
Since the problem also shows up on lds.org the problem is probably on the server rather than in the mobile app. So if would probably be better to use the feedback link on one of the LDS.org pages. It will probably get to the right place faster.
lfife

Post by lfife »

I'm seeing the same problem trying to upload images for my YSA ward also. The most frustrating thing about it I was able to upload about 80% of the ward doing the exact same thing but for some reason some of my pictures won't upload either. I hope they get it fixed quickly. I have uploaded most through either Chrome or Internet Explorer on my Windows computer but I have also tried with my iPhone and iPad and they don't work either.
hyattg

Post by hyattg »

I am an assistant ward clerk for membership; with the same problem: pictures that cannot be uploaded to the directory.

I have sent feedback, using the option at the bottom of the directory page on lds.org. So far, there has been no response, even though I checked the box on the feedback form, and included my email address. The feedback form says I should expect a response in 2-3 days.

No one in the Global Service Center supports the directory. They say to send feedback as I and several of you have done on lds.org.

Is it possible for one of the forum administrators to at least get someone in the know to acknowledge the problem? That would be a start. Even better would be an estimate of when it will be operating again.
kellymab

Post by kellymab »

I was able to upload via my phone and the LDS tools app yesterday. I got a response from the tools app people saying they were having issues with the photo service since last Tuesday.

Like I said before, this is probably due to the influx of students at the church schools and YSA wards are usually the ones to upload large numbers of photos. Give it until a week or two after BYU-I starts and the rush/overload will be over. I will post if I hear anything else.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

hyattg wrote:Is it possible for one of the forum administrators to at least get someone in the know to acknowledge the problem?
I emailed my contacts on the 31st. I don't always get a response, and I didn't get one in this case.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”