nFS automatic logout

Discussions around Genealogy technology.
scion-p40

nFS automatic logout

Post by scion-p40 »

I sent the following feedback to nFS support: "nFS logs out too fast. I understand a short time on public computers, but why won't it stay logged in on my home computers? Also, unlike other websites with an auto logout feature (i.e.: my credit union), nFS returns me to the home page instead of where I was previously. Highly irritating."

Here is their response:

"Thank you for contacting FamilySearch Support with your comments about the quick reset time if you are not actively using new FamilySearch. At this time new FamilySearch times out after 20 minutes of inactivity in an effort to keep the system from getting too congested.

We appreciate you joining with us in this pioneering effort to increase member participation in family history work around the world. As in all new ventures, challenges arise for both the developers and users of the new FamilySearch. We realize that some of the functions of this first version of the system may not work well for all your needs. We encourage you, however, to patiently and persistently continue to use the system."

First, I can do without the constant "cheerleader" remarks. We don't have a choice. Reminding me to "get on board" is irritating. I am part of a forced beta group. The rollout does not allow users to choose between nFS & old FS. I'm not particularly enamored of either. My observation is that when an existing software exists, beta testing is offered, not forced upon, potential end users.

Secondly, the issue of "duplication" seems to be focused on the actual templework. What about the duplication spent by everyone when this software logs out the user & sends us back to square one?!? If I am in the middle of trying to compare multiple people on nFS, it is entirely reasonable to spend more than 20 minutes researching my own database, my files, and looking at other online databases for information that may now be available that wasn't when I last researched that individual a decade ago.

Third, the response implies minimal understanding of the end user's actual application of the program. The line about becoming "too congested" sounds like poor planning of resources based on this lack of understanding.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Are you saying that you are logged off without so much as a warning message or pop-up displayed?. I know that my bank has the auto log-off feature. I had to allow pop-ups for their site to get the courtesy message with the option to continue being logged on. Do you have pop-ups enabled for the nFS site?

If the nFS does not have this courtesy feature then maybe the programers should at it. An opportunity to choose an option to stay logged on or to permit the log-off is a courtesy that should be offered.
scion-p40

Post by scion-p40 »

Yes, I am. When I go back to nFS, all the work that I just did has evaporated.
BradJackman-p40

Post by BradJackman-p40 »

I had added this suggestion several months ago, but got no response. Also, no change has been made. I agree with your frustrations of a forced beta. Betas are for advanced users to try out systems and suggest improvements. This beta is using mostly novice users, placing hundreds of thousands of temple work hours on the line, and is fighting back against most suggestions, claiming that we're not "on board" because we are not celebrating the error-laden program.

Working with other genealogy betas has been a pleasant intellectual experience. Expressing concerns and identifying problems is met with gratitude, and changes are made within days of submitting them. Granted, this is a much larger system, but this forced "beta" experience is a nightmare.

Return to “Family History”