How do I unmark my scripture?

Discussions about the Notes and Journal tool on LDS.org. This includes the Study Toolbar as well as the scriptures and other content on LDS.org that is integrated with Notes and Journal.
lbrown1949

How do I unmark my scripture?

Post by lbrown1949 »

I can mark my scriptures but how do I unmark or change to color or style?
mevans

Re: How do I unmark my scripture?

Post by mevans »

Are you using a web browser or Gospel Library on a mobile device?
Michaelwhitecpa

Post by Michaelwhitecpa »

I have the same question. I'm using iPhone 5 mobile app. I marked a verse on accident and want to "unmark" it but can't figure out how...?
kellymab

Post by kellymab »

Tap on the unwanted marked selection. A menu will appear: style, note, tag, link, copy. Then there is a right arrow. Select the right arrow. "Remove" should then appear.
lmcguire

Post by lmcguire »

Kelly's answer looks like it's for iOS, so I'll post for LDS.org (since that's the group we're in). There are two ways. Both require you to be logged in.

1. Click the "My Account and Ward" link and choose "Notes" from the drop-down. Find the highlight of interest using the two left panes and click on it to load it in the right-hand pane. Then click the "Delete" option in the upper right corner of that pane.

2. In the chapter where the highlighted verse is, mouse over the highlight. This should open a popup window with highlight color boxes and an option for "Edit Note / Tag". (If you don't get the popup, click in an area of the page that's empty and then mouse over the highlight again.) Click on the "Edit Note / Tag" option and you'll see a trash can icon. Click that to delete the highlight. It will pop up another dialog so you can confirm you really want to delete.

Liz
Michaelwhitecpa

Post by Michaelwhitecpa »

Thank you both for your replies. I am indeed using an iOS device.

@Kelly. I tried what you have suggested, when I select a word (or verse) which had previously been marked (the "unwanted marked selection")... I see the little pop up with options (they are first, "speak", "mark", "note", "tag"), and the little "right arrow". I click the right arrow and the following options show, "link", "copy", "share", and another "right arrow". I click the right arrow again, and now see options, "define" or "search". So, no remove option for previously marked verses that I now wish to "unmark".

However, I did find to what you were referring. If I am marking a selection "for the first time" (not a previously unwanted marked selection), then... I see the little pop up with options (they are first, "speak", "mark", "note", "tag"), and the little "right arrow"... If I select "mark", it adds a new marking, and the gives the options of first, "style", then "note", then "tag", and then "link"), and the little "right arrow". If I choose the right arrow I now see, "copy", "share", and now "REMOVE" (and the little right arrow). Clicking "remove" here will delete the new marking you are currently making only, but DOES NOT remove any previously unwanted marked selection.

I need to know how to remove marks the were made "previously" (maybe days, weeks, or months ago). Anyone know how to do that?
Thanks again :-)
lmcguire

Post by lmcguire »

BoiseWhites,

Old highlights should show the same as new highlights, unless, by some fluke, two different logins have used the device and the "old" highlights actually belong to the other login, in which case, you might need to use the other login to delete them.

Also, if you use the method I posted for deleting highlights on LDS.org, then sync your device (force it to sync, and it will drop anything that's only on the device and pull a "fresh" copy of what's on LDS.org), that should get the old stuff off the device.

If that doesn't work, I'd recommend checking to see if a similar problem has been posted on the Gospel Library for iOS group: https://tech.lds.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=103

As a geek, I can't help but advise the following standard troubleshooting techniques (up to you whether to try any):
* Power-cycle the device - power it down, wait 30+ seconds, power it up; then try again.
* Clear the cache of the app (not sure if iOS lets you do this)
* Clear the data of the app (not sure if iOS lets you do this - be warned, you'll have to re-download the library content and re-set-up your login to sync annotations - as if you installed the app fresh - you have to re-set-up your preferences and everything; but as long as you're using an LDS Account to sync annotations, you won't lose any)
* Uninstall and re-install the app (make sure doing this removes the data - you might even power-cycle between uninstall and re-install)

And finally, I believe I've seen this reported before and it was a rare problem which required the user to send feedback via their device and get tech support to delete the problem highlights or fix a corruption issue with their account, or something like that.

FWIW,

Liz
Walscho

Post by Walscho »

I am using an iPod Touch5 with IOS 9.2.1 and am unable to follow your instructions on deleting a previously highlighted verse. No garbage can or delete option shows up.
Thanks for your help.
lmcguire

Post by lmcguire »

Wascho, you should probably use the in-app feedback option, tell them exactly which verse(s) is highlighted, explain the details (can't select it? or when you select it, there's no option to delete it?), and ask their help removing it. I don't know what else you could try.

Liz
adamkpeterson

Post by adamkpeterson »

For iOS: If you tap on a word or phrase that's marked and you don't see "remove" in the options, it may be that the word or phrase is marked multiple times. Here's what to do: tap on the marked word or phrase and a "Choose highlight" menu will come up. Tap a selection and it will take you back out to the verse. Tap once on the word or phrase with the highlight you want to remove. The option menu should now give you the option to "remove" when you tap the right arrow. You will need to repeat until each of the multiple highlights is gone.

Return to “Notes and Journal, and Online Scriptures”