Scope of MLS data

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
hedeliusk

Scope of MLS data

Post by hedeliusk »

Does using PrimaryTools.com run afoul of 4.9.2, .3 or .4 found here? https://www.lds.org/help/support/meetin ... lang=eng#4 What is the scope of "MLS data"?
Can the names in MLS be reviewed and compared to update PrimaryTools.com?

What about using Google Calendar to coordinate the Bishop's schedule if there's an indication who the member is("any membership related data")? Does that violate 4.9.4?
drepouille

Re: Scope of MLS data

Post by drepouille »

Are you talking about this site?
LDS Primary Tools at https://www.primarytools.net/
Primary Tools is a suite of tools to help LDS primary presidencies better manage their primary.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

hedeliusk wrote:Does using PrimaryTools.com run afoul of 4.9.2, .3 or .4 found here? https://www.lds.org/help/support/meetin ... lang=eng#4 What is the scope of "MLS data"?
Can the names in MLS be reviewed and compared to update PrimaryTools.com?
I assume you are referring to PrimaryTools.net (there doesn't seem to be a site called PrimaryTools.com).

I guess it depends on how you define "MLS data", but it sure seems unlikely to me that those using the tool would just happen to know the names and birthdates of all the Primary children unless they got that information from MLS/LCR. My opinion is that PrimaryTools.net does violate the policies you noted. The site's Privacy Policy seems to attempt to get around the policy by saying "Birth date is required to enable most of the powerful features of the site. If privacy is a concern, we might suggest using first name and last initial or vice versa." But I don't know if that really solves the problem. You're still identifying children, which I would be very wary of doing.
hedeliusk wrote:What about using Google Calendar to coordinate the Bishop's schedule if there's an indication who the member is("any membership related data")? Does that violate 4.9.4?
This one isn't quite as clear to me; a simple name doesn't seem to be particularly "membership related".
hedeliusk

Post by hedeliusk »

Are you talking about this site?
LDS Primary Tools at https://www.primarytools.net/
Primary Tools is a suite of tools to help LDS primary presidencies better manage their primary.
Yes, sorry. PrimaryTools.net It's a 3rd party site, not affiliated with or endorsed by the church. I believe it uses cloud-based services for backing up the (primary children) membership . Does a list of members of the primary constitute "membership related data"? Especially since it's almost always derived from MLS data?
Last edited by hedeliusk on Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hedeliusk

Post by hedeliusk »

Thinking more about "4.9.3 The use of MLS data and membership information in third party software is prohibited, ", does that include using Microsoft Excel at home (even disconnected from the internet), after getting derived data from MLS to do a calling?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Speaking for myself, I'd question the wisdom of anyone entering other people's information into a website. If members join a site and volunteer their own information, that's fine. (For example, conference registration.) But I'd really question if members have consented for a local leader to use a website not run by the church. And just who would get the blame if something goes wrong?

The fact one is uploading/entering information into a website that understands the information (as opposed to a spreadsheet that just displays it in a table), makes it that much more risky.

If someone were to ask me this in person, I think I'd follow up and ask if they owned enough property to be wroth suing. I'll bet they beat a hasty retreat. <evil grin>
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”