Looking for stories of General Authority Use of LDS Apps

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
eldermurray

Looking for stories of General Authority Use of LDS Apps

Post by eldermurray »

Hey everyone, first time poster so please be kind. I tried searching through the forum to find something but wasn't successful.

I am giving a presentation on the available LDS apps at a relief society enrichment night. We have a lot of what you might call "Old guard" members who think it's akin to sinning if you read, let alone study your scriptures on a mobile device. That's confusing to me because why would the church put significant investment in making it easier to study your scriptures on a mobile device if it was "evil?"

What I'm hoping for is anecdotal stories of General authorities using Mobile devices for scripture study. For example one of our bishopric came back from a training and they were told that at the time, Elder Perry used an iPad extensively for scripture study.

Any similar stories would be very helpful!

Thank you.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Looking for stories of General Authority Use of LDS Apps

Post by lajackson »

I posted a story you are welcome to use. During the course of the discussion, the answer sometimes came faster from those with electronic devices, and sometimes faster from those with paper copies.

I have also participated in two more recent stake conferences where the visiting authorities used iPads. One was a member of the First Quorum of the Seventy, and one was an Area Seventy. Our mission president uses both. His notes are on the iPad and he uses a paper copy of his scriptures, as well.

In the post to which I linked, I also gave examples of where I would use an electronic device and where I would use paper. Also, since I posted, I no longer have an iPod Touch. I am now using an Android smarter-than-I-am phone.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

You might find this useful, but don't expect to change the "old guard" until they are ready...

From the 2016 Curriculum announcement (https://www.lds.org/church/news/2016-cu ... _&lang=eng)

"Where possible, students and teachers are encouraged to use digital versions of 2016 curriculum materials, which can be found online and in the LDS Gospel Library mobile app. If you haven't tried the app, now is a good time to experience the ease of preparing, teaching, and learning from a library of gospel resources that fits in your pocket."

That said, I strongly believe we should honor those who are not willing or able to jump to digital. They have their reasons and have every right to not go digital if they want to. This from someone who my kids believe are the only people left in the world who don't own cell phones... (but we do have WIFI tablets).
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

davesudweeks wrote:"Where possible, students and teachers are encouraged to use digital versions of 2016 curriculum materials
And that same encouragement was found in the 2015 Curriculum Instructions and also in the 2014 Curriculum Instructions.
lmcguire

Post by lmcguire »

If you search LDS.org for "App" or "Mobile Device", you come up with quite a few relevant topics. More specific search terms may or may not yield similar results. For example:

1) Three members of the 70 commenting on updates to the Gospel Library: https://www.lds.org/church/news/latest- ... e?lang=eng (There are lots of news items where someone from the 70 comments on a new app / version.)

2) Elder Scott in general conference talks about appropriate ways to use a mobile device (including for scripture marking): https://www.lds.org/general-conference/ ... e?lang=eng (pretty much every instance will include warnings about not using a device inappropriately)

3) October 2013 GC, Elder Hales, "General Conference: Strengthening Faith and Testimony": "I encourage all members to use the resources on the Church's websites and mobile apps." - I don't know that we're ever going to hear much about the technical details of the General Authorities' personal scripture study methods, but you can't get more appropriate than an Apostle encouraging you to use the apps.

And I think what's already been said is the best advice - if people don't want to use electronic resources, that's just fine; if people can't use them, we should strive to help, if help is possible and desired, and be respectful of the situation. If people are really spouting false doctrine about electronic scriptures being virtually <g> sinful, a few links like the above and the simple fact that the Church's official site lists and provides links to download the apps, and the "store" pages for these apps use the official name of the Church (which they actively protect), should be enough to dispel that.

FWIW,

Liz
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

And, FWIW, my wife tried reading the scriptures on her 7" Android Tablet and didn't like the experience. She has gone back to paper for all her gospel study - she is old-school with making notes in the margins, etc. She does not even take her tablet to church.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I've noticed a number of the "older generation" using tablets in my ward. I think it might be because they can make the print larger. I'd imagine the large print editions get kinda heavy.

The "youngsters" tend to use phones.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eldermurray

Post by eldermurray »

davesudweeks wrote:
That said, I strongly believe we should honor those who are not willing or able to jump to digital. They have their reasons and have every right to not go digital if they want to. This from someone who my kids believe are the only people left in the world who don't own cell phones... (but we do have WIFI tablets).
Totally agree, my intent is not to try to get others to change their habits. People should study in the way that makes sense for them. I'm more interested in reassuring folks that it's not a sin. I once volunteered to read a scripture in Sunday school and afterward the teacher told me that they'd prefer I not volunteer to read unless I'm going to read from "the scriptures." (the paper ones)

Also a year ago when I was in the Stake YM presidency, we were asked to use our paper scriptures around the young men because we needed to "set an example" for them. Because apparently if a young man catches me reading the scriptures on a tablet, that I'm not being a good example?
eldermurray

Post by eldermurray »

Thanks everyone for your help so far!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

eldermurray wrote:I once volunteered to read a scripture in Sunday school and afterward the teacher told me that they'd prefer I not volunteer to read unless I'm going to read from "the scriptures." (the paper ones)

Also a year ago when I was in the Stake YM presidency, we were asked to use our paper scriptures around the young men because we needed to "set an example" for them. Because apparently if a young man catches me reading the scriptures on a tablet, that I'm not being a good example?
I hate to break it to your leaders, but the bulk of General Conference is read from a teleprompter. You know, those squarish pieces of clear plastic you see in front of the podium?

Not to mention the example that lds.org give us:

Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “General Discussions”