Manuals for 2016

Discussions about the Lesson Schedules Tool
grendo

Manuals for 2016

Post by grendo »

We are working on the lesson schedule for our High Priests group for 2016 and are wondering when we will be able to link to the Howard W. Hunter manual. Thank you for the Lesson Schedules tool.
lmcguire

Re: Manuals for 2016

Post by lmcguire »

If I go to LDS.org, Serve and Teach > Lessons and Teaching > Lessons, Manuals, and Curriculum; the second item in the list is "Instructions for Curriculum 2016". From that page, there's a link to the Howard W. Hunter manual.

FWIW,

Liz
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

lmcguire wrote:If I go to LDS.org, Serve and Teach > Lessons and Teaching > Lessons, Manuals, and Curriculum; the second item in the list is "Instructions for Curriculum 2016". From that page, there's a link to the Howard W. Hunter manual.
True, but that doesn't mean that it's available in the Lesson Schedules tool.

Last year, the President Benson lessons weren't available in the Lesson Schedules tool until December 3. If you want to gain some understanding of the process, see this post, then this one, then this one.
mevans

Post by mevans »

I thought I'd get started early and already sent a note to Feedback when I saw the schedules weren't there. Last year I had some interactions with the Feedback people about getting the Lesson Schedules update on the agenda of the project manager or whoever it is that oversees the annual curriculum plan. I don't know where that feedback ultimately went, but they did discuss some things with me.

I can only guess that if the church ran like many companies where I've worked (which it may not), there would be one person ultimately responsible for managing the "Annual Curriculum" project who coordinates the activity across all departments. The Lesson Schedules update needs to get on this person's master project plan. Dependencies must be figured out and every department has to get its stuff done in time for the launch date.

It sounds simple in writing and I don't mean it to seem that it's trivial to coordinate all that stuff--I've been involved in many such activities and know it's a lot of work from a lot of people to get things all coordinated and running to essentially do a product launch. My gut feel from what I've observed the last few years is that the Lesson Schedules update isn't on the project plan for the product launch. Ideally the annual curriculum notification would also say that the manuals are available in Lesson Schedules.
bcgroen

Post by bcgroen »

Hi

If some one notices that the schedules are posted in the lesson scheduling tool please post. I submitted feedback but haven't heard a time line or any response.

I'm anxiously awaiting so I can help the ward do some planning :)

My feedback would be that the earlier they are posted the better. Sept or October would be my two cents.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

bcgroen wrote:I'm anxiously awaiting so I can help the ward do some planning
All the information you need for planning is already available (see the Instructions for Curriculum 2016). The only thing you can't do is actually enter the lessons into the Lesson Schedules tool, but that can be done in December (last year it couldn't be done before December).
mevans

Post by mevans »

If the data was available in the tool, it would then become a very useful planning tool. I could point the ward organizations to the tool to review the 2016 plan, rather than having to send it in email, Excel, Word, etc. If we were able to use it for planning, it might actually encourage the ward leaders to use the tool. When we have to bypass the tool for planning purposes, it further deemphasizes the tool.
Cmrnfmly6

Post by Cmrnfmly6 »

I agree that the site a/p below needs to be kept current to be taken seriously and used as intended. When you go to the Instructions for Curriculum 2016 there are a couple resources specific to next year but some of the links are dated 2014 and lots still dated 2015. Maybe there's a good reason for this? Help....

HOME
LDS.ORG
MANUALS INSTRUCTIONS FOR CURRICULUM 2016
Instructions for Curriculum 2016
The following materials for use in Sunday quorums and classes are available online and in the Gospel Library mobile app. Where possible, encourage members to use digital versions of these materials.[/i][/i]
Attachments
image.jpg
(369.93 KiB) Not downloaded yet
grendo

Post by grendo »

Thank you for the link to the Howard W. Hunter manual. We used the Topic (Custom) Lesson Type and copied each Lesson Topic and each Lesson URL. It took a few minutes more than if the topics and links were already in the Lesson Schedule system but it looks like it will work so we can have the schedule out earlier. Thanks to all for this tool.
Don Gren: Interested in Technology in Teaching, Learning, and Building
mevans

Post by mevans »

Maybe if you submit Feedback that the Lesson Schedules tool needs to be ready to go when they announce the curriculum it will help. I have no idea how or if the quantity of people complaining about things affects planning at church headquarters. Just scroll to the bottom of the page and click on "Feedback" and let them know you can't accomplish your task because the tool hasn't been updated.

Return to “Lesson Schedules”