Flag a Record on Transfer

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
nyeung

Flag a Record on Transfer

Post by nyeung »

Is it possible to flag a record so that when the record is transferred to the next ward the Bishop at the new ward receives a notification to contact the previous Bishop?
ClarkHall

Re: Flag a Record on Transfer

Post by ClarkHall »

Yes, it is my understanding only the bishop has permission to do it.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

You can do that in MLS if you initiate the move. You can watch for a move-out and contact the next ward (that might not be a bad idea in any case. I'm not sure how prominent that notice is - the next ward might miss it).

But if there's a way to do it while that record is still in the ward, I don't know as you can do it in MLS. I'd suggest calling Local Unit Support.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

There is something called a "move restriction" that can be used for members who are in a disciplinary process. From the [http://tech.lds.org/wiki/Move_restriction LDSTech wiki]:
When a local priesthood leader needs to hold a membership record in their unit due to disciplinary action or another administrative purpose, the leader can place a move restriction on the record. To request a move restriction, submit a special request through MLS or contact the administrative office. Only authorized priesthood leaders can request the restriction. Once move restriction is no longer needed, only unit leaders can remove it, and then, only by calling the administrative office directly.

When a record with a restriction is requested, a letter is sent from the administrative office to the leader who placed the hold. The letter contains the contact information of the unit requesting the record. The leader has 30 days to return the letter or contact the administrative office. If no contact is made, the restriction is released and the record is moved to the new unit.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

sbradshaw wrote:There is something called a "move restriction" that can be used for members who are in a disciplinary process. From the [http://tech.lds.org/wiki/Move_restriction LDSTech wiki]:
When a local priesthood leader needs to hold a membership record in their unit due to disciplinary action or another administrative purpose, the leader can place a move restriction on the record. To request a move restriction, submit a special request through MLS or contact the administrative office. Only authorized priesthood leaders can request the restriction. Once move restriction is no longer needed, only unit leaders can remove it, and then, only by calling the administrative office directly.

When a record with a restriction is requested, a letter is sent from the administrative office to the leader who placed the hold. The letter contains the contact information of the unit requesting the record. The leader has 30 days to return the letter or contact the administrative office. If no contact is made, the restriction is released and the record is moved to the new unit.
Note that the wiki is somewhat out of date. You can now place a move restriction from Clerk Resources directly. The checkbox is on the 'Other' tab when viewing the membership record. I believe that this can be set by the bishop, ward clerk or membership clerk (but it must be authorized by the bishop regardless of who places or remove it).
nyeung

Post by nyeung »

Thank you all for your responses. I will look into these methods.

Nathan
danquick

Post by danquick »

I have been looking into this as the ward clerk and it has now changed again. Move restrictions can be added in LCR on LDS.org by going into the individuals record and clicking on the flag that appears by their name. It then gives the option to place a move restriction (with Bishop's approval).

I don't know if this is super obvious or if everyone already knew about it, but it was new to me.
thejonz

Post by thejonz »

Thank you!

Return to “Membership Help”