Can't play videos on LDS.org!

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
kastephens

Can't play videos on LDS.org!

Post by kastephens »

Our desktop computer is running Windows XP, so our IE is too old to work with LDS.org, and we have been using Firefox with no trouble till the last week. Suddenly, with no conscious change on our part, we cannot play videos on lds.org! We really look forward to watching a general conference talk as part of our morning devotional, and I just can't seem to figure out what is wrong. I removed & downloaded the latest version of Firefox and Adobe Flash Player, still no videos. Any ideas how to fix this? Thanks!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Can't play videos on LDS.org!

Post by russellhltn »

I believe the Firefox blocks Flash by default. (It's been a non-stop source of security issues.) You'll have to find those settings and re-enable Flash.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lmcguire

Post by lmcguire »

In Firefox, open up "Add-ons Manager" (Tools > Add-ons, or Ctrl+Shift+A), and go to Plugins. Scroll until you find "Shockwave Flash" and change the activate drop-down - depending on the degree of security you want (but to something other than "Never Activate"). If it's already set to "Always Activate", Flash is not your problem.

I just tested this, and confirmed the videos won't play without activating that plugin.

Another option is simply that XP won't support the necessary drivers for the latest version of Flash - I have no idea whether that's the case, just saying it's possible.

Liz
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

kastephens wrote:Our desktop computer is running Windows XP,
If this is a clerk administrative computer, ask your STS to call the FM Group and get you on Windows 7. This was supposed to be done before the end of July.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:If this is a clerk administrative computer, ask your STS to call the FM Group and get you on Windows 7. This was supposed to be done before the end of July.
I doubt if it's a clerk computer. From the comment about devotional, I'm guessing it's a personal or classroom computer. But you're right. All church machines should have moved off of XP by now.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Main Church Website”