Online donations for missionaries in other units

Discussions about the Online Donation system.
kenworthyg

Online donations for missionaries in other units

Post by kenworthyg »

The new online donation system being rolled out just became available in our ward, and I love how easy it makes it to donate towards missionaries in other units! However, when I tried to do this for a missionary in another country (Brazil), I get: "The Ward/Branch number you entered seems to be incorrect. Please check your number and try again." Is this a limitation of the system, or of policy, or am I just not getting the number correct (I got it from the online unit directory.)
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Online donations for missionaries in other units

Post by russellhltn »

It appears to be some kind of limitation of the system. It might be policy, currency difference, different area office, or they might be on a different funding system. (Equalized/non-equalized and CUBS vs. another system)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Are you entering the unit number of his home ward, or the ward he's serving in in Brazil? Make sure you enter the unit number for his home (funding) ward.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
kenworthyg

Post by kenworthyg »

The unit number of his home ward. It wasn't that it couldn't find him as a missionary - it rejected the unit number as invalid. I tried other wards as well. It consistently accepted units in the US, and did not accept units in any other country I tried.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

kenworthyg wrote:it rejected the unit number as invalid. I tried other wards as well. It consistently accepted units in the US, and did not accept units in any other country I tried.
I saw the same thing as far as Brazil vs. US. (I got the numbers out of CDOL.) One thing I didn't check is to see what happens when there's no missionary from that ward.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

kenworthyg wrote:The unit number of his home ward. It wasn't that it couldn't find him as a missionary - it rejected the unit number as invalid. I tried other wards as well. It consistently accepted units in the US, and did not accept units in any other country I tried.
I do not know for sure, but I do not believe countries outside of the U.S. and Canada participate in the equalized missionary funding system. That may be the reason. But I think the real reason may be that there are also financial restrictions on sending money outside of the U.S. that may be causing the restriction.

I realize that it appears with CUBS that everything is magic and electronic. But in reality there is real money involved, and there are rules that must be followed any time money crosses the borders of a country.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

If the restriction also applies to Canada, then I suspect the system simply isn't designed to "translate" between currencies. I'd think it would take extra effort to make it work and would rarely be used. But that's not to say the feature would never come.

lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:If the restriction also applies to Canada, then I suspect the system simply isn't designed to "translate" between currencies. I'd think it would take extra effort to make it work and would rarely be used. But that's not to say the feature would never come.
Since the Online Donation system uses the ACH transfer process, which is only a U.S. system, I am pretty sure it does not work for Canada.

As for the transfer of money between the U.S. and Canada, I am a little bit familiar with how Church finances work in Canada, It would not be a simple matter of converting between currencies. There are other issues involved.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:Since the Online Donation system uses the ACH transfer process, which is only a U.S. system, I am pretty sure it does not work for Canada.
Good point. But the question is where is the real destination? We all know it doesn't go to the actual unit. But if it goes to the area office, then it seems that the system should work for units that have CHQ as the area office.

curtisheidi

Post by curtisheidi »

We are trying to donate to the missionary fund in a ward we visited in Mexico, where there is a real need. We have the unit # but, as others on here have seen, it won't accept it as it is in another country. Is there another way to get money to a ward outside the United States (e.g., could we send a check to Salt Lake specifying what ward we'd like the money to go to)? Or are we just limited to donating to the general missionary fund?

Return to “Online Donations”