Donating to senior missionaries

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
ewells

Donating to senior missionaries

Post by ewells »

The online donation system allows members to contribute to a specific missionary. A senior couple does not want their names to appear on that list. Is it possible to exclude them from the list of missionaries?

Thank you.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Donating to senior missionaries

Post by russellhltn »

I'm not sure as an account would be set up for them like is done for the "YSA" missionaries. But if it is, I know of no way of hiding it. Best to ask Local Unit Support and see what they say.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

russellhltn wrote:I'm not sure as an account would be set up for them like is done for the "YSA" missionaries. But if it is, I know of no way of hiding it. Best to ask Local Unit Support and see what they say.
I don't know whether all senior missionaries have an account setup but I believe most do because many (if not all) pay their housing costs through the ward missionary account.
ewells

Post by ewells »

eblood66 wrote:
russellhltn wrote:I'm not sure as an account would be set up for them like is done for the "YSA" missionaries. But if it is, I know of no way of hiding it. Best to ask Local Unit Support and see what they say.
I don't know whether all senior missionaries have an account setup but I believe most do because many (if not all) pay their housing costs through the ward missionary account.
I should have mentioned, this is a stay-at-home missionary couple, so housing costs do not apply in this case. Thanks, though.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

ewells wrote:I should have mentioned, this is a stay-at-home missionary couple, so housing costs do not apply in this case. Thanks, though.
Is it a service mission then? If so, then I don't think they will create an account for them.
ewells

Post by ewells »

eblood66 wrote:
ewells wrote:I should have mentioned, this is a stay-at-home missionary couple, so housing costs do not apply in this case. Thanks, though.
Is it a service mission then? If so, then I don't think they will create an account for them.
No, it's a "regular" full-time mission, but they are serving it from their own home. They just don't want other members to be able to donate to them financially, since they have sufficient means to provide for themselves, and would rather have generous members contribute to other, more needy missionaries.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

ewells wrote:No, it's a "regular" full-time mission, but they are serving it from their own home. They just don't want other members to be able to donate to them financially, since they have sufficient means to provide for themselves, and would rather have generous members contribute to other, more needy missionaries.
Donations are always used under the discretion of the bishop. So even if someone does try to donate for them, the bishop can direct that it be placed in another account or in the general Ward Missionary fund. If it gets deposited there accident the donation can be re-categorized later or a transfer can be made to another Ward Missionary account.

But given that they are using their own home I doubt they will have an account created anyway. But if it does get created, it's not really a problem. The bishop can just redirect the donation.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

eblood66 wrote:But given that they are using their own home I doubt they will have an account created anyway.
That's what I'm thinking. If they're serving at home, what would the church be paying for that they'd set up an account?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”