LDS Tools vs. lds.org

Discussions around the Android version of the Member Tools application
drepouille

LDS Tools vs. lds.org

Post by drepouille »

I recently referred a member of my ward to Lesson Schedules on lds.org. I sent him a direct link to it, but he said he could not find it, probably because he was looking at the Calendar instead of Lesson Schedules. I got the feeling that he was trying to find Lesson Schedules on LDS Tools on his iPhone.

I asked the Ward Council yesterday why the bishopric has never activated the Ward Newsletter on lds.org. I got a few shrugs, and a comment that nobody in the ward would use such a thing. I suspect that in general, members will only use features that are available in LDS Tools, and will rarely use features that are only available on lds.org. This may be true because lds.org requires a login every time a new browser is opened, or because works better on a larger screen, which forces the members to use a computer rather than their mobile devices.

Granted, anyone (such as those in the Ward Council) who needs to update data should be using a computer, rather than a smart phone. LDS Tools is intentionally a read-only interface to look up answers to simple queries. I use the Android LDS Tools. Is there a published list of features comparing what is available on lds.org, versus Android LDS Tools, versus iOS LDS Tools, etc?
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: LDS Tools vs. lds.org

Post by lajackson »

drepouille wrote:Is there a published list of features comparing what is available on lds.org, versus Android LDS Tools, versus iOS LDS Tools, etc?
I am not aware of one. (We could start one here.) Part of what someone can see in LDS Tools depends on their calling. Other than that, it is pretty much Directory information, Calendar, Callings, Information about Missionaries (serving in and out of the ward) and, if you are a leader, Reports.

Return to “Android Member Tools App”