Easier access to "Hide footnote indicators"

Discussions about the Notes and Journal tool on LDS.org. This includes the Study Toolbar as well as the scriptures and other content on LDS.org that is integrated with Notes and Journal.
bpurser

Easier access to "Hide footnote indicators"

Post by bpurser »

I know I struggle with needing to use the footnotes for research, but also needing to copy the text of scriptures to paste into a document (without the messiness).

Any chance there is a way to put the check box for "Hide footnote indicators" right on the main window so that people do not have to drill down into Options to toggle this setting on and off?

I end up toggling this setting all the time, but would like it if this were one click instead of three. I have noticed the question of how to do the toggle on/off has come up numerous times on this forum. If users on this forum are having problems, imagine the everyday member situation.

Anyway, great job on the scriptures, very useful tool!
cannona-p40

Post by cannona-p40 »

Try this.

javascript:var x=document.getElementsByTagName('sup');for(var i=0;i<x.length;i++){void(x[0].parentNode.removeChild(x[0]));}

If you are familiar with bookmarklets, you'll know what to do with that. If not, what you need to do is copy that line of code (and only that line) to your clipboard. Then, in your browser, you need to add a bookmark. You can call it whatever you want, something like remove scriptures footnote letters" or whatever, and then paste that line of code as the URL. Make sure that there is no http or anything before it, and you don't want any spaces before or after it either. Anyway, then all you do is go to the scriptures.lds.org site, and when you want to get rid of the footnote letters, just click on that bookmark you created, and instead of opening a new page, it will make all the footnote letters disappear. If you want to get them back, just refresh the page.

Enjoy.
bpurser

Footnote problem

Post by bpurser »

An example. Recently I noticed a post on a popular LDS blog. The post quoted a scripture like this:

"Jacob 2: 18 But abefore ye seek for briches, seek ye for the ckingdom of God."

The person doing the post may know how to turn off the footnotes, but from my experience, most people do not know how. Many take the time to clean up the text manually after they paste (a big time waster). For the large number of people who use the scriptures.lds.org there really ought to be an easier way. I am thinking a simple button at the top to toggle the footnotes on and off.

Note: The script shared was somewhat successful. I have to run it multiple times on each in order for the footnotes to disappear from the entire text (I am using Firefox). Note sure why to only fixes part of the page each time.
cannona-p40

Post by cannona-p40 »

Sorry, I didn't notice that. Here's a corrected version.

javascript:var x=document.getElementsByTagName('sup');for(var i=x.length-1;i>=0;i--){void(x.parentNode.removeChild(x));}

Also, I agree with you that the option to remove footnotes should be more apparent. The footnotes pose an accessibility problem as well.

I would like to see them implement an option which would do as the above script does: keep the footnoted words as links, but remove the indicator letters.

Aaron
KathrynGZ

Tried this...

Post by KathrynGZ »

cannona wrote:Try this.

javascript:var x=document.getElementsByTagName('sup');for(var i=0;i<x.length;i++){void(x[0].parentNode.removeChild(x[0]));}

If you are familiar with bookmarklets, you'll know what to do with that. If not, what you need to do is copy that line of code (and only that line) to your clipboard. Then, in your browser, you need to add a bookmark. <snip>

Enjoy.
Sweet! I didn't know such a thing was possible. That opens up a world of possibilities!! Thanks for the tip :)

Kathryn
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

You can also, as I did, put a new bookmark in a new, or old in my case (Firefox on OpenSUSE), bookmarks toolbar. This way you have just a button to click on!
david1234-p40

Post by david1234-p40 »

How do you turn the footnotes back on using a bookmarklet?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Just refresh the web page from which you have removed the footnote markers.
Marcel Demas-p40

Suggestion

Post by Marcel Demas-p40 »

[Alan_Brown: I moved this post from the We Need Help Testing the Scriptures thread, which pertains only to testing foreign language versions of the scriptures.]

I didn't read all the posts in this thread so this suggestion may already be old.

It would be real nice to be able to copy and paste verses from the online scriptures without then having to change all the bolded words and delete the footnote/cross reference indicators.

Will there be a selection that addresses that in the update, or is there already one in the existing version that I haven't yet lucked into?

Thanks.
Every member online a Cyber Missionary!
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

LDS1dotOrg wrote:It would be real nice to be able to copy and paste verses from the online scriptures without then having to change all the bolded words and delete the footnote/cross reference indicators.

Will there be a selection that addresses that in the update, or is there already one in the existing version that I haven't yet lucked into?
Now that this post is in a more appropriate thread, review the posts in this thread. Hopefully they will answer your question.

Return to “Notes and Journal, and Online Scriptures”