how to print large font visiting teaching district report?

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
sasgrw

how to print large font visiting teaching district report?

Post by sasgrw »

We have an older sister that is the district supervisor and collects the VT visits. She uses paper reports and not the website to record visits. The form is printed from LCR > Org > VTing > Companionships > Print > District Reporting Form.

This generates a PDF file but there really isn't any control over the size of font used. I could print on 11x17 paper and let the PDF scale to that size but the printer at church and my personal printer at home doesn't support that size.

If you use the computer, you can increase the font via the browser but you can't really print the webpage directly (via the browser print) because it isn't formatted. To print, you have to use the print button.

I would love to have this sister record the visits directly from the website, using a larger font in the browser, but that's not an option at the moment.

Is there any way to print a larger font report?
mevans

Re: how to print large font visiting teaching district report?

Post by mevans »

This is tricky, but here are some ideas that might help.

Which software are you using to print the PDF? I suggest saving the PDF and opening it in something besides the browser to have more flexibility.

Some PDF software will give you more flexibility in how you deal with the PDF. For example, in Adobe Acrobat, try the Page Setup dialog (I'm on the Mac version; I'm assuming the Windows version has the same dialog, but it might not, as printing might be more tied to the operating system). With that dialog, I was able to change the overall scale to 200%. Then when I went to print, the original one page printed out over several pages. You'd have to tape some things together, but it worked. It didn't work as well as I wanted, but it worked.

Regardless of your platform, there are many PDF readers, some of them are even free. I suggest experimenting with the printing and page scaling options in various PDF readers to see if you find any that suit your needs.

Another option is to use a drawing program that can natively open a PDF file. For example, I could open the PDF with Illustrator and scale it to whatever size I wanted and pages I wanted. I also tried another Mac-only drawing program I have (Intaglio) and it let me do something similar. This gets me where I want to be much more quickly than when I was messing with a few PDF readers.

So, it's probably not convenient, but it's doable. Doing it for several people wouldn't be fun. Doing it for one sister might be doable. However, I don't know if you're doing to find a convenient free solution, but you might find a workable one.
whitshake

Need Reports to Print in a Larger Format

Post by whitshake »

So, our visiting teaching coordinator has requested that I print the reports I give to her every month in a larger format as she can't read them the way they print automatically. I've spent some time in help forums for setting up pdf's, or using printer dialogue boxes, etc. to try to reformat the reports directly from the web pages or after saving them, and I've tried to copy/paste the info into a Word document but it makes the program freeze up (the expanse of my technological knowledge is rather limited). The simpler the solution, the better (as I will be able to train the person that replaces me in this calling in the future). Any help would be appreciated. Thanks :)
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Need Reports to Print in a Larger Format

Post by russellhltn »

whitshake wrote:So, our visiting teaching coordinator has requested that I print the reports I give to her every month in a larger format as she can't read them the way they print automatically.
Moderator note: I've merged your post into an existing topic. You might want to read the post above yours for some tips.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sasgrw

Post by sasgrw »

I appreciate mevans suggestions but it's a sad state of things. But then I'm biased because I work on accessible software (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_accessibility). There should be an easy way to modify the font size. The church did an ok job if you try to print a ward directory. There's a "font size" option in the print dialog. There are only 7 options but it's better than what the visiting teaching list gives you. For now I'm printing on 11x17 paper and having the PDF scale to the paper. It's about 125% larger than 8x11 but ok for now.
pamj5

Post by pamj5 »

I had the same problem, the companionships were printing so small you need a magnifying glass to read them. I solved it by changing the properties on the print screen. Went to "advanced" > scaling and entered 120%. That printed the report to fill the page so it is adequate. 125% was too big and I lost the edge. this is on a Brother HL2270 printer. Don't know if all will do the same.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”