Activate Windows 7 Enterprise

Issues related to the use and operation of Family History Centers
drepouille

Activate Windows 7 Enterprise

Post by drepouille »

We just received several new Dell Optiplex 9030 AIO computers. Although Step 1 of the setup instructions say that you must setup the computer at the FHC for the Windows activation to work, I ignored that, and did it at my home. When I brought the computer into the FHC this morning, I could not activate Windows.

Now I believe I am faced with two options:
- Press F11 during boot-up, and restore the computer to the original FHC image.
- Call FHC Support, and ask them to connect by remote control and activate Windows for me.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
Biggles

Re: Wireless Survey of church building with Netspot

Post by Biggles »

I also find it easier to do the initial preparation at home. I had this problem and had to go through FHC Support to activate.

This is what I saw happen when done remotely by the Support Agent.

The solution is the Activation Script is listed in the FHC Application Finder. To activate the script, when logged in as Administrator, copy the file to the Desktop, right click on the file and run as Administrator.

The Application Finder and the Activation Script run, but fail in any case, unless behind the Church firewall.

Let us know know how you get on, as I've yet to do this for real!
drepouille

Re: Activate Windows 7 Enterprise

Post by drepouille »

I downloaded the Windows 7 Enterprise activation script using the FHC Application Finder, saving it to the Downloads folder. I then opened the folder, right-clicked on the batch file, and selected Run as Administrator. It worked great.

As you may know, this activation script runs during the initial setup that runs as part of the FHC image. However, it failed every time on every computer I set up, even if I had connected the computer to the FHC network prior to turning on the computer for the first time. I think that for some reason, the network is simply not available that early in the setup process. Therefore, there is a flaw in the FHC image itself, which prevents proper activation of Windows 7 Enterprise during the initial setup.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

I finished installing a replacement computer in our FHC last night. Before doing anything else I downloaded the new.PortalConfig file and ran that. Then I went to check on the W7 Activation status, guess what, Windows was activated! The conclusion that I've come to, is that the new.PortalConfig combined with the new downloaded V4_FHC image, will auto activate. So I didn't have to run the W7 Activation script.

Time will tell if this is the norm, when the initial install is done away from the FHC.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

I never had to download the new.PortalConfig file. The portal seems to work fine as is. I was able to get to Ancestry (AncestryInstitution) just fine. The setup instructions don't say anything about the new.PortalConfig file.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

W7 Enterprise x64, for FHC computers, comes in various releases. My original description for activating W7 was based on a Version 1 DVD image install. The PC I installed on Tuesday evening was the USB Version 4. So it would seem that subtle changes, quite normal for each release, have changed how activation occurs. The activation may have just happened automatically, once the system identified it was behind the Church firewall and that me running the new.PortalConfig file had no bearing on the activation.

As we aren't privy to what has changed with each new release version, we can only speculate on what has changed.
dwpage

Post by dwpage »

I had the same issue even though I did set up for first time in the FHC center. I was setting up a Dell optiplex 9030 AIO computer. I downloaded the FHC Windows 7 Enterprise Activation Script from the FHC Windows 7 Enterprise Activation Script as described. Ran as admin and it activated right away. Thank you all for the help.

Return to “Family History Centers”