Newsletter feature is having issues

Discussions about the Newsletter Tool at LDS.org.
samanthahollister

Re: Newsletter feature is having issues

Post by samanthahollister »

Does anyone know if this kind of issue happens often with the newsletter? From what I can tell the newsletter hasn't had a major upgrade in a while and it might not even be a priority. I was hoping to make the leap from doing ward pdf newsletters by email to this. Now I'm wondering how reliable THIS is. I've only been at it a couple weeks but I'm concerned.

This is the first time our ward has ever tried to use this feature (or the calendar too - which also has bugs) and I'm hesitant to get all the heads of auxiliaries & secretaries involved. I love the idea that our content is all in one place that everyone can easily sort through new and old articles/news etc. but if I can't even do basic editing I'm not sure it's worth it. The way I did it before was a lot of work - and this is so easy, but only if it is working!

Can anyone please advise? Is it worth the hassles of features inexplicably dropping off, sign-in problems, and so on?
Thanks.
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

Hope the tech guys in SL get this fixed today... Need to get the newsletter out for the 2 or 3 who read it.
barkeraj
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by barkeraj »

We are looking into this this morning.

The application itself was not updated, but we did update a library that is used across the site. We didn't realize this application used it, and so didn't test it here. Will update as we know more.
tinabeanh

Post by tinabeanh »

Ditto, I've been having the problem just since Saturday. It worked a week ago (July 26th).
tinabeanh

Post by tinabeanh »

To answer your question, Samanthahollister, our Relief Society has been using the online newsletter for about 2 years now and it usually works great. I post at least one thing every Sunday, and this is only the 2nd or 3rd time there have been technical issues. Normally, they are fixed in a couple days. I haven't ever had problems with signing in or loosing features.

Hope that helps you make your decision! In general, I've been satisfied with the system.
:)
samanthahollister

Post by samanthahollister »

tinabeanh wrote:To answer your question, Samanthahollister, our Relief Society has been using the online newsletter for about 2 years now and it usually works great. I post at least one thing every Sunday, and this is only the 2nd or 3rd time there have been technical issues. Normally, they are fixed in a couple days. I haven't ever had problems with signing in or loosing features.

Hope that helps you make your decision! In general, I've been satisfied with the system.
:)
Thanks tinabeanh - this helps. I want very much to ditch the monthly pdf publications I was doing and recruit those people who were helping me before to move to this method. I would be training them to post themselves. A day with a bug is no big thing, but we're around a week here with this problem. I love that I can quickly go in and edit & add pictures. I love that it is instant and easy. When it's working...

Still no fix?
yssirclark

Post by yssirclark »

Is there any update from the Church as to when the Newsletter feature of the LDS Tools menu will be restored to full functionality? It appears that the problems reported over the last several days are still unresolved. I know that I'm still experiencing the same lack of functionality on this feature that everyone else has reported since late last week. Any updates?

Brother Mike Clark
Hansen Meadows Ward Executive Secretary
Syracuse Utah Bluff Stake
(Syracuse, UT, USA)
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

yssirclark wrote:Is there any update from the Church as to when the Newsletter feature of the LDS Tools menu will be restored to full functionality?
No update.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
ekinsm

Post by ekinsm »

I was able to attach the PDF version of newsletter on July 27 or July 28. Bishop requested an update so I deleted it and updated my PDF and went to reload/attach it on Friday July 31st and every day since and now it won't let me attach it and the circle spins and spins and the columns are narrow that you use to put title, etc. Has anyone heard of a fix? It appears there are many having issues and tech support just sent me to the forum. Thanks for any help you can give!!
barkeraj
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by barkeraj »

We just got a fix up a few minutes ago, you may have to clear your cache to see it take effect.

Sorry for the delay, it took longer than expected to fix the bug, and then our process to deploy the code also broke (unrelated). Got all that resolved and up this morning. Let us know if you still have problems with it.

Return to “Newsletter”