Missionary Funds

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
simonmudge

Missionary Funds

Post by simonmudge »

I need to transfer funds from the Ward Mission Fund for a missionary. I forgot how to do that. Can anyone help?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Missionary Funds

Post by aebrown »

simonmudge wrote:I need to transfer funds from the Ward Mission Fund for a missionary. I forgot how to do that. Can anyone help?
In MLS, you have two options:
  • If a single donation (or small set of donations) was involved, you can edit those donations made to Ward Missionary and change the category to be "Ward Missionary--Elder Jones". This option is particularly appropriate if donations were made on behalf of the missionary before the subcategory was setup by CHQ.
  • You can always create a transfer using the Create Transfer feature under Finances in MLS. On the left side (the "From" part of the transfer), specify "Ward Missionary" as the category; on the right side (the "To" part of the transfer), specify "Ward Missionary--Elder Jones" as the category, with the same amount on both sides.
simonmudge

Thanks

Post by simonmudge »

I remember now.
RobPeck

Post by RobPeck »

I need to do this same thing but am not able to figure it out on my own. When I go to the transfer tool I can select the Ward Missionary fund on the left but on the right the only thing it will let me select is other units in my stake. Can someone guide me. I need to move money from the general ward missionary account to multiple different specific missionary accounts.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

RobPeck wrote:I need to do this same thing but am not able to figure it out on my own. When I go to the transfer tool I can select the Ward Missionary fund on the left but on the right the only thing it will let me select is other units in my stake. Can someone guide me. I need to move money from the general ward missionary account to multiple different specific missionary accounts.
One of the units in the list should be your own. Select it and then select the account you want to transfer to. If your unit doesn't show up then your MLS database must be messed up somehow. You'll probably need to call Local Unit Support to fix that.
sdw1985

Post by sdw1985 »

There are some missionaries who are no longer in the feild but yet they have a negative or positive balance in the system.....how do I redistribute funds to bring the balance of these individuals to zero so they will get cleared from the system?

Steve
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

sdw1985 wrote:how do I redistribute funds to bring the balance of these individuals to zero so they will get cleared from the system?
Under the direction of your bishop, you simply transfer a positive or negative balance into each account until the account is at zero. Any difference would normally go to (or come from) the Ward Missionary Fund for use by other missionaries.

Because everything is within the Ward Missionary Fund and its sub-accounts, this should be a simple transfer in each case. And once the sub-account sits at zero for about two months, it should disappear.
sdw1985

Post by sdw1985 »

Thank you very much for the response :) I'll try it this Sunday
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

I would make an effort to find out why there are negative and positive balances. Make a separate determination for each account. Were any donations placed in the wrong account, for example? If so, correct those errors BEFORE making transfers. Did a missionary's family make one-too-many donations? If so, perhaps they would like you to re-categorize that donation to something else, like Tithing. If the balances are small then simple transfers will probably be okay. If they are large (especially if they are larger than one month's worth of missionary support) then I would suggest further investigation before making transfers.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”