Music section no longer useful

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
moeajeune

Music section no longer useful

Post by moeajeune »

The music sections used to be so much more pliable ! You could set it to play each part in a hymn or all parts, change the pitch and speed, choose music , or vocals or both, now nothing!!! A step backward is what I think ! Those options are so vital to enjoy singing, learning parts, in FHE, not only for full families , but also for 1 person family or empty nesters , or even for those of the outer edge of the church, the far reaches of the isles of the sea, to actually have parts supplementing your own singing! It makes hymn singing something to look forward to.
lmcguire

Re: Music section no longer useful

Post by lmcguire »

I still see all that, for example, here:

https://www.lds.org/music/library/hymns ... s?lang=eng

...where are you going that those features are missing?

Liz
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

I can see the confusion with the new interface. You now have to click on Parts to open the menus that control the volume of each of the four parts, or on Audio to select music with parts, music only, or words and music. If a user doesn't see those widgets and know they have to click on them to drop down a menu, they would assume those features have been removed.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
lmcguire

Post by lmcguire »

Ah, I didn't realize that interface was new (I have a terrible sense of time when it comes to duration). Anyway, maybe the confusion also comes from the fact that at some point they changed from a navigator (in the left column, I think) to showing a list view from which you can play selected hymns, like this page:

https://www.lds.org/music/library/hymns?lang=eng

...that page just lets you play the hymn - it doesn't include all the fancy features. For those, you have to click the hymn name and open a separate page, then open the "Parts" or "Audio" tab which hang under the control bar.

But with the new navigation, there may even be other pages we don't realize, and those don't have the interactive features, not sure.

HTH,

Liz
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

In other languages PDF sheet music is displayed instead of the interactive music player. But the interactive music player has always only supported English.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
mevans

Post by mevans »

I just looked and it seems to be the same interface I've seen for a while. I do occasionally use the music site and have used it within the last month. I see drop-down menus where I can change some of the options.
nmecantwin73

Post by nmecantwin73 »

The Music Player (https://www.lds.org/music/library/hymns ... s?lang=eng) uses Flash, which many new browser updates are turning off by default (Chrome, Firefox). Flash can be re-enabled on each page, as needed.

I wonder if moeajeune's Flash is out-of-date, thus causing the new interface to not work as programmed (drop-down tabs for parts and audio)?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

nmecantwin73 wrote:The Music Player (https://www.lds.org/music/library/hymns ... s?lang=eng) uses Flash, which many new browser updates are turning off by default (Chrome, Firefox).
In the case of Chrome, I think it's using an internal copy of Flash rather than turning it off.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Some mobile devices (like iPhones and iPads) don't even let you install Flash.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
moeajeune

Post by moeajeune »

Sorry, been on vacation, I still don't see any drop down menus for parts, even when I followed the first link in comments. I am controlling it from my iPad 3 so I can project the mirror image to my tv for FHE music and GC talks, does it allow flash now? Better check..
Come to think of it, when it used to work perfectly with parts and stuff, we were using the same set up with the same iPad, so it can't be that( flash).
Here's what I see: https://www.lds.org/music/library/hymns ... d?lang=eng
Music and vocal
Music
ASL
ASL

Return to “Main Church Website”