Windows 10 Upgrade

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
mnmpeterson

Windows 10 Upgrade

Post by mnmpeterson »

On my home PCs the latest update to Windows includes an icon on the task bar to reserve your free update to Windows 10. I'm wondering how many of our clerks are going to do this and, later, actually install the Windows 10 update when it's released next month. I assume we don't want clerk PCs to automatically update the OS but I can see it happening since the reserved upgrade now shows up in Windows Update.
I just wonder if we should remove the update that installed the reservation icon to prevent clerks for updating to Windows 10.
Biggles

Re: Windows 10 Upgrade

Post by Biggles »

Have you actually seen the W10 upgrade flag on a Clerk computer yet?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

First, it only happens if the computer gets the "recommended" update KB 3035583. (Not to be confused with "critical" updates that are security related.)

Second, generally, clerk computers gets their updates from church servers, not Microsoft. The church servers are not serving up all of the critical updates (I need to start bugging someone about that) so I tend to doubt they'll be serving up this "recommended" update.

But, with all those unit computers out there, and so many people with Windows Admin privileges, you know someone is going to do it. And that person gets to be a unpaid alpha tester.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rolandc

Post by rolandc »

I have seen that icon on all FHC computers though.

Will uninstalling update KB 3035583 remove it?
Roland
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

rolandc wrote:I have seen that icon on all FHC computers though.

Will uninstalling update KB 3035583 remove it?
Windows 7 Professional, or Enterprise, or both?
pete.arnett

Post by pete.arnett »

We got the Win 10 upgrade icon several FHC desktops, none on Clerk's desktops

Get Windows 10 (GWX) [Removal] to see unoffical website for details
http://www.askvg.com/how-to-remove-get- ... m-taskbar/
KB3035583 Windows Update is responsible for adding the Get Windows 10
METHOD 1: Hide "Get Windows 10" Icon in Taskbar
METHOD 2: Kill "Get Windows 10 (GWX)" Process Using Task Manager
METHOD 3: Delete "Get Windows 10" Task from Task Scheduler
METHOD 4: Delete the "Get Windows 10" app Files and Folder
METHOD 5: Uninstall Windows Update Responsible for "Get Windows 10" App
ssrail

Post by ssrail »

And removing this icon WHY!!!! It's just an icon it's not a virus or spyware it is just to inform you that comming July 29 it will be available free for one year. though the clerks computers are not aloud to upgrade yet...because of MLS..if you dont have the computers set to admin then the users should not be able to change anything...dont give any extra right to users and reduce the stress.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

ssrail wrote:And removing this icon WHY!!!!
Simplification. You do not want to add anything to the patron experience that's not there to help them.

Some FHCs do allow their patrons to operator with Admin rights and trust Deep Freeze to fix any problems they cause. In that case, a patron could upgrade the machine which might cause some down time while that happens. (I'm assuming Deep Freeze can undo it, but it still would be an inconvenience.)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jkentner

Post by jkentner »

I know there will be some haters out there, but I have been a Windows Insider and have had it for some time. It is a very stable OS. Why wouldn't we want to upgrade to Windows 10 since it is free? I don't have an issue with any of the church sites yet on the Edge browser, but another browser could easily be installed. Has MLS been tested with Windows 10?

What about the FHC, has FamilySearch and other apps been tested?

I would love to help test in either venue if that is needed?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'd imagine that the church has been waiting for the RTM version to do the testing. There're really no need to have things ready the instant Win 10 launches, and whatever testing was done during the insider program would just have to be re-done with later versions.

I don't remember what version of 7 is installed on clerk computers, but the new FHC computers come with Enterprise - that upgrade program hasn't been rolled out yet.

The statement for FHCs can be read here.

Return to “Clerk Computers”