New Old FamilySearch Website

Discussions around Genealogy technology.
BradJackman-p40

New Old FamilySearch Website

Post by BradJackman-p40 »

Just minutes ago, the old/current FamilySearch.org webpage changed it's appearance. Is everyone seeing this? It doesn't look like there are any content updates, just a new look and a new login function on the header. Anything else new? Anything lost?
BradJackman-p40

going back...

It appears that with the new website, when you hit the back button on your browser to return to the list of records, you are returned to the top of the page, and not to the location where you left that page from. This will increase clicks and search time when searching through hundreds of IGI records (like all of us should be doing). I hope they find this bug and fix it.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

BradJackman wrote:It appears that with the new website, when you hit the back button on your browser to return to the list of records, you are returned to the top of the page, and not to the location where you left that page from. This will increase clicks and search time when searching through hundreds of IGI records (like all of us should be doing). I hope they find this bug and fix it.
I see what you are reporting. In addition, with Firefox it is even worse. When you follow a link from the Search Results, the browser window doesn't scroll at all. The page you link to is typically much shorter than the Search Results, so this means you almost always have to scroll up to see anything except a blank page.

The good news is that if you immediately hit the Back button after following a link, you will still be where you were in the Search Results. The bad news is that this will never happen, since you always have to scroll up to the top to see the page you linked to.

I used the "Contact Us" link on FamilySearch.org to report this behavior.
BradJackman-p40

It appears that some of the scrolling issues in IE7 are getting fixed, but it's still quite random when you hit the back button whether or not you are sent to the top of the page or to the place from which you left the page. If they're getting rid of this site in a year or so, why change the display format now?
garysturn

FamilySearch

Post by garysturn »

BradJackman wrote:It appears that some of the scrolling issues in IE7 are getting fixed, but it's still quite random when you hit the back button whether or not you are sent to the top of the page or to the place from which you left the page. If they're getting rid of this site in a year or so, why change the display format now?

I don't believe they are getting rid of this site (FamilySearch) in a year or so. There is a mis-understanding about what newFamilySearch is. It is not a new version of FamilySearch. It is just a tempory site for the Family Tree and Online Temple Ready applications that will eventually be added to FamilySearch. Once newFamilySearch is ready for full release, it will be added to FamilySearch and we will loose the new designation. FamilySearch is getting its face lift as part of that combining of all the new functions which are being added to it.

There are a lot of new projects that will be added to FamilySearch and accessed primarily from there:
Record Search - The indexes and images from FamilySearch Indexing
(already added to FamilySearch as a Pilot)
Family History Archives -The scanned books and holdings from the Family History Library and from other participating Libraries: BYU (all locations), Church History Library, LDS Business College, Alan County Library, Houston's Clayton Genealogy Library, Midwest Genealogy Center.
(already added to FamilySearch - ongoing scanning in process)
FamilySearch Indexing- The site for people to go to participate in Indexing
(already added to FamilySearch)
FamilySearch Research Wiki- Available now but not in full release yet
FamilySearch Research Forums-Available now but not in full release yet
Family Tree - Part of newFamilySearch now, but there will will be a new flash version which you can see now at FamilySearch Labs.
Online Temple Ready - Built into Family Tree for LDS Members.
(Found at newFamilySearch now)
Life Browser- Possible addition to Family Tree, see protype at FamilySearch Labs.

There are hints of other possible additions:
FamilySearch Product Support Wiki
FamilySearch SupportBlogs for: FHC, Consultants, Director, Wiki
Gary Turner
If you haven't already, please take a moment to review our new
Code of Conduct
BradJackman-p40

Obviously they won't be getting rid of familysearch.org, but I figured they would be completely overhauling the website when the "new" familysearch becomes just regular familysearch. Besides a design upgrade, I didn't notice much difference, except that scrolling is now having issues.

Return to “Family History”