New Counselors not in authorization list

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
richardcou

New Counselors not in authorization list

Post by richardcou »

We have two new counselors in my branch, and as clerk, I created login usernames and passwords for both counselors with both having admin access to MLS. Both are out-of-unit members, and I used lds.org to request their information. This afternoon when we reached the authorization point for tithing, neither of their login information was present, and we were unable to authorize the batch.

Prior posts on this forum have suggested checking if the callings were custom made on MLS, and as far as I can tell, for this branch, no custom callings have been made for the Branch Presidency. I checked the CDOL, and both counselors are also on the list in the branch. LDS.org also lists them as counselors without any custom made callings.

The only thing I can think of is to wait a week and see what happens, but according to some posts on this forum, that method has not met with much success. Are there any alternate methods that anyone has tried to solve this authorization problem?

Thanks
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: New Counselors not in authorization list

Post by russellhltn »

Did you make sure they had finance rights in MLS? They shouldn't have to have admin, but I think they do need finance. And make sure the MLS login is tied to their records.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Make sure their MLS user accounts are set to "Member of Unit" and not "Out-of-Unit Administrator." That's a common mistake with out-of-unit members.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
richardcou

Post by richardcou »

sbradshaw wrote:Make sure their MLS user accounts are set to "Member of Unit" and not "Out-of-Unit Administrator." That's a common mistake with out-of-unit members.
This is one thing I had not thought of doing. So it is possible to make a person a counselor using the "out-of-unit membership request" and still set him to be a member of the unit while making login information for him?

Double checking: to make someone a member of unit in this scenario, you would click the button for "member of unit" while making a username/password for him?
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

richardcou wrote:
sbradshaw wrote:Make sure their MLS user accounts are set to "Member of Unit" and not "Out-of-Unit Administrator." That's a common mistake with out-of-unit members.
This is one thing I had not thought of doing. So it is possible to make a person a counselor using the "out-of-unit membership request" and still set him to be a member of the unit while making login information for him?

Double checking: to make someone a member of unit in this scenario, you would click the button for "member of unit" while making a username/password for him?
Yes, definitely. First you create an out-of-unit record for them in LCR. Then you record them as counselor (also in LCR). Then do a send/receive in MLS so that the out-of-unit record and the calling both show up in MLS. Then create an account in MLS using 'Member of Unit' (with a username and password). It is confusing that you use 'Member of Unit' for an out-of-unit leader but that's what you do.

The 'Out-of-unit Administrator' is really just so you can create an account for a stake clerk so that they can be an administrator of last resort.
richardcou

Post by richardcou »

eblood66 wrote:
richardcou wrote:

Yes, definitely. First you create an out-of-unit record for them in LCR. Then you record them as counselor (also in LCR). Then do a send/receive in MLS so that the out-of-unit record and the calling both show up in MLS. Then create an account in MLS using 'Member of Unit' (with a username and password). It is confusing that you use 'Member of Unit' for an out-of-unit leader but that's what you do.

The 'Out-of-unit Administrator' is really just so you can create an account for a stake clerk so that they can be an administrator of last resort.
Ok got it! I wasn't aware of the "out-of-unit administrator" restrictions, so I had set both counselors as those when creating usernames. I will re-make their login information with the "member of unit" option next week. Thanks for all the help!
craiglarsen

Post by craiglarsen »

Where is create an account in MLS located? I have scanned the MLS options for over an hour and I can not find it. Help
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

craiglarsen wrote:Where is create an account in MLS located? I have scanned the MLS options for over an hour and I can not find it. Help
Let's make sure we're talking about the same MLS here. When we say MLS, we're talking about a Windows program that's installed on the clerk's computer. Some people refer to the on-line LCR system as "MLS".

This link should help you. Note that you have to be logged in as someone who has Administrator rights in MLS to do this: Maintain MLS User Access.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Also, not all MLS users have rights to edit users. That could be why you don't see the option. What's your calling?
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

sbradshaw wrote:Also, not all MLS users have rights to edit users. That could be why you don't see the option. What's your calling?
Only a MLS admin has that ability. And it's not based on calling. However, generally the bishop, ward clerk and stake clerk would have a admin login to MLS.

It's possible when MLS got reinstalled, someone looked at the user list and decided it needed some cleanup.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”