Suggestion: Add patriarchal blessing option

Discussions around the Android version of the Gospel Library application.
kc7smo

Suggestion: Add patriarchal blessing option

Post by kc7smo »

I've taken our Patriarchal blessings and converted them into a .prc format, allowing us to read them on various ebook reader apps for my phone and my wife's tablet.

However, I was thinking that it would be nice to see the official Gospel Library have an option to upload or add your blessing into the app, keeping it handy and together with the other Church pubs.

I was thinking of a simple option for a PDF or PRC file to be transferred to the devices memory or SD card, and then being able to point to that file within Gospel Library as your Patriarchal blessing.

Just a thought.
jessepaakkari

Post by jessepaakkari »

I'd like to be able to add content by my own easily... Any content...
CrowderSoup

Post by CrowderSoup »

I actually like this idea...Not only would adding your patriarchal blessing be good, but possibly have a journal as well.
jasonhyer

Post by jasonhyer »

We hope to be able to add the option to included your own content at some point in the future.
Jason Hyer
loriashton

Re: Suggestion: Add patriarchal blessing option

Post by loriashton »

I also would love to add my and my husbands patriarchal blessing to gospel library with the option to highlight, add notes, and link phrases to scriptures/conference talks. I have an Apple. Do you think this is something that is close to fruition?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

loriashton wrote:I also would love to add my and my husbands patriarchal blessing to gospel library with the option to highlight, add notes, and link phrases to scriptures/conference talks. I have an Apple. Do you think this is something that is close to fruition?
So far, the content in Gospel Library has been Church content generally applicable to all church members. The ability to add personal documents has been requested before, but I am not aware that anything has taken place that would provide for such an option. So no, I do not believe it would happen any time soon.

On my smarter than I am phone, I have converted several important personal documents to pdf and store them on my device. Of course, I am not able to highlight, add notes, and link phrases in them which, as you suggest, would provide additional value to having them readily available.

There is a very interesting discussion going on about the technicalities of deep linking, where you would be able to place a link in an outside document that would go directly to some place deep within Gospel Library. Although it is very technical, you may get some ideas from that topic.

Based on what is being discussed there, you might be able to highlight and add links to a word searchable version of a patriarchal blessing, for example, where those links would take you to the places you wished to connect. Setting it up would be a totally manual process in the original document, but if you really wanted to do it, it seems that the technology may be there.
lmcguire

Post by lmcguire »

lajackson wrote:
loriashton wrote:On my smarter than I am phone, I have converted several important personal documents to pdf and store them on my device. Of course, I am not able to highlight, add notes, and link phrases in them which, as you suggest, would provide additional value to having them readily available.
While not nearly as convenient as having it in the GospelLibrary*, you can highlight and add notes in PDF files - even on your phone. All the PDF viewers I've used on Android support this (the one from Adobe, and the one from Foxit, plus a few others I tried and removed). Hyperlinks can be added to PDFs, though I've never tried this on an Android viewer, so I'm not sure that's an option or if you need a PDF creator to do it, but if it is, perhaps the deep linking available on Apple would work (into GospelLibrary, not out of it to the PDF).

*I think they should just make a way for a person to add personal documents (not of any given type, like Patriarchal Blessings, just anything). They could use the existing data structure - perhaps limited to a personal collection - you specify title, chapter, and paste in the text. Once saved, it's flagged as personal*, and you can do with it anything you can do with other content. (*This would be to accommodate sync-ing, so the text isn't altered / deleted by official content updates.) Of course, I have no expectation this will happen, but as a Programmer, it seems like all the pieces to make it are there, you just have to put it together and add some new rules to the sync process...

FWIW,

Liz
Srpingry

Post by Srpingry »

Yes do it that would be awesome!!

Return to “Android Gospel Library”