Home Teaching

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
theehutch

Home Teaching

Post by theehutch »

I was recently called as an Elders Quorum president and our MLS at the church computer re-directs me to lds.org to do hometeaching. That's a wonderful adjustment that I'm looking forward to, however, I've got a problem. There's 208 people to assign for home teaching, yet we have 217 people in the ward directory. Why don't all the people show up for me to do home teaching? I also made some assignment before my ward was switched to using lds.org, but none of the assignments were saved with the change. Please let me know what I can do on my end to get this updated so we can have home teachers assigned. Thanks!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Home Teaching

Post by russellhltn »

theehutch wrote:There's 208 people to assign for home teaching, yet we have 217 people in the ward directory.
I'm surprised you see that many. First, it's families that are assigned HT, not individuals. Second, by default, sisters and prospective elders will be assigned to the HP group - where it's harder, but not impossible for the EQ President to see and assign.

If you look at some of the other threads, you'll see how to find them and assign them.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

theehutch wrote:... I've got a problem. There's 208 people to assign for home teaching, yet we have 217 people in the ward directory. Why don't all the people show up for me to do home teaching?
When you say there are 217 people in the Directory are you saying there are 217 households? Home teaching is done by households and not individuals, unless you are in a YSA unit. Additionally there is a known issue with unassigned single sisters being assigned to the High Priest Group by default as are unassigned prospective elders. These unassigned single sisters and prospective elder households can still be assigned to be taught by a companionship by manually entering their names to the companionship. They will not show up in the list of unassigned households and thus must be typed in manually. You may have to get the list of unassigned single sisters and prospective elder households from your unit clerk.
theehutch wrote:I also made some assignment before my ward was switched to using lds.org, but none of the assignments were saved with the change.
You may have made those changes during the transition from MLS to LCR. They tried to make the transition at a time that would minimize the impact. You may have been caught in the middle of that transition. Sorry for the difficulties. But you will have to enter those changes again.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
theehutch

Post by theehutch »

Thank you for the input. I am in a mid-single adult ward, so each individual is a household. I will have to find out if the sisters are being placed in the high priests group(we don't have any of those in this ward besides the bishopric members). Besides this one issue, I have loved using lds.org for home teaching and updating callings.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

theehutch wrote:I am in a mid-single adult ward, so each individual is a household. I will have to find out if the sisters are being placed in the high priests group . . . .
Single sisters not assigned home teachers will be on the high priests group leader's unassigned list (which you will not have, of course). Your ward clerk is your friend. He will have to get the list for you.

They can all be assigned home teachers reporting to the elders quorum, but their names will have to be entered manually into the various routes.
mstauff

Post by mstauff »

You should also be able to see this information when you are editing a companionship and you add a new teacher or assignment, if you click the dropdown arrow next to the text box you get a list of teachers or households that can be assigned. Within that dropdown you can select HP, or All, and also choose whether you want to see assigned or unassigned members. It's not the easiest location for just browsing a list of names, but it is there if you want to make use of it.
kunzlerwes

Post by kunzlerwes »

theehutch: I realize this may sound unorthodox, but due to the pain you are going to face with typing in that many single sisters by hand in a mid-singles ward... maybe your bishop could assign you as a HP Group Leader by name-only-on-LCR, to facilitate your job's process until this is fixed. Just an idea -- not trying to cause trouble.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

kunzlerwes wrote:maybe your bishop could assign you as a HP Group Leader by name-only-on-LCR,
Nice try, but I seriously doubt if LCR is going to allow an Elder to fill that position. Even if it did work, I doubt if it would help because he wouldn't have any HP companionships to assign to them to.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”