Study options when signed into personal account

Discussions about the Notes and Journal tool on LDS.org. This includes the Study Toolbar as well as the scriptures and other content on LDS.org that is integrated with Notes and Journal.
Katana5

Study options when signed into personal account

Post by Katana5 »

I find that often while working with the study bar at the bottom, it will disappear and I will lose the ability to save, highlight,and to journal, create new notebooks etc. Sometimes this will go down for minutes at a time. Any idea why this happens?
Katana5

Re: Study options when signed into personal account

Post by Katana5 »

A good example is 7/15/2015 10:53 a.m. MDT. I have not access.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

When you change the width of the window to less than a certain number (I think it's 730?) of pixels, the study bar disappears because LDS.org thinks you're on a mobile device. Do you resize your browser window when you're studying?
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
mevans

Post by mevans »

I've observed this behavior at times, but it's been a while since I've seen it.

I believe what's happening is that your browser opens to the page with the content. After you get the content, your web browser tries to communicate with the "study service". If it can connect, then you get the study toolbar and highlighting. If it can't connect, then you don't get it.

I believe when I've seen the problem that the toolbar will disappear when I change pages, not necessarily disappear while I'm studying on a page. The frustrating thing is that I go to highlight and then I later find that the highlight didn't save. Usually when I run into the problem I try refreshing the page to see if I can get the study toolbar to appear when the page is refreshed.

There can be various reasons why the "study service" isn't available. Maybe the server is overloaded and doesn't respond in a timely manner, maybe it's temporarily down, maybe the load balancer directed you to a bad server, etc.

Return to “Notes and Journal, and Online Scriptures”