birthdays

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
andim7

birthdays

Post by andim7 »

How can I print out a listing of birthdays for each month?
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Re: birthdays

Post by scgallafent »

andim7 wrote:How can I print out a listing of birthdays for each month?
You can print a birthday list from LCR. Look for "Birthday List" in the Reports drop-down menu.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Birthdates are not available in the LDS.org Directory. They are, however, available in the LDS Tools app or in Leader and Clerk Resources, if you have a calling that allows you to access Leader and Clerk Resources and see members' birthdates. Birthdates are not available to all ward members for privacy reasons. The report mentioned by scgallafent above is probably the easiest place to get a printable list.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
Kaylyn101

Post by Kaylyn101 »

Does it go against the handbook to give members the birth month + day of other members to promote social gathering, sending birthday cards for ministering, etc? I am currently serving in the relief society presidency and have been in other wards where sister's birthdays were on newsletters (excluding the year of course) but in my new ward there's a hesitancy to share the birth month + day. Any advice would help! Thank you!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Reading between the lines of GHI 38.8.13, it would appear to be discouraged. The fact the church doesn't make it available to the general membership is likely a hint.

The move to privacy has ended some friendly old traditions.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

There is nothing in the General Handbook specifically addressing birthdays. However General Handbook, 33.8, does provide the guidelines for the confidentiality of records. One source of birthdays is the Birthday List found in LCR and Member Tools for only those with specific callings. Since that information is restricted to leadership positions then it should be handled in accordance with the General Handbook. I would not recommend giving restricted information to the general membership when it is not made available to them.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
garystroble

Post by garystroble »

Interestingly ministering assignments are still printing with day and month birthdays, but that is a very limited distribution obviously.
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

Interestingly ministering assignments are still printing with day and month birthdays, but that is a very limited distribution obviously.
And those printed assignments also include ages for children and youth, so ministering brothers and sisters should have that info to care for their sheep. And there's also the printed disclaimer at the bottom of each assignment "For Church Use Only".

Back to the question a couple of posts ago, I think a good workaround I've seen is where "RS January Birthdays" are listed in a newsletter, without any dates. That way everyone receives fellowship from their sisters and don't feel forgotten, but there's no personal data being shared.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Poking around in my Church Account settings, I discovered there's a visibility setting on Birthday (not date).

I suspect default is the most restrictive: Stake and Ward Organizational Presidencies. But you can also select "Ward Members" or "Stake Members".

It raises question of where this might appear, or how it's indicated to presidencies that the member has allowed the ward to see it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”