MLS - Restore from Backup is Failing

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
alnoe

MLS - Restore from Backup is Failing

Post by alnoe »

We recently had an issue with the peripherals (mouse, keyboard) on our Dell Desktop. We believe to be caused by a Windows Update which we are still investigating. While we do this we were forced to do a Windows restore from a previous POT. When you do a system restore it places MLS data back to the time of restore. We are attempting to do a MLS restore from backup (thumb drive) but it is failing to restore MLS data and we cannot proceed with processing finances until we do a restore of MLS. Can anyone help explain why the restore fails. The message mentions something about a space issue but there is plenty of space on the C: drive.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: MLS - Restore from Backup is Failing

Post by russellhltn »

alnoe wrote:When you do a system restore it places MLS data back to the time of restore.
That would strike me as odd. MLS data is stored in a user data section. Maybe what it did was roll back MLS to a prior version and it's not liking the newer database. I'd suggest downloading MLS and re-installing. See if that doesn't clear up the problem. Otherwise, it's a call to Local Unit Support.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

The error message about space issues will sometimes be triggered when a backup is corrupt. If you get the message and there is plenty of space on your drive, it's possible you have a bad backup.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

alnoe wrote:Windows restore from a previous POT.
Just to be clear, what kind of backup/restore are we talking about? A full hard drive backup/restore would cause everything to revert back. I has assumed you were talking about a system restore - I wouldn't expect that to affect data in the ProgramFiles area where the data lives, but certainly could affect the MLS program files that live in Program Files or Program Files (x86).
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

If you have a problem and roll your computer back to an earlier Windows restore point, MLS will get confused, and you probably will not be able to restore a later backup.

You can only restore a backup from the past, not from the future. That's probably why you got the error message. In this case, it is not that the backup itself is dated in the future, but that MLS reverted to a prior state.

As a workaround (I have not tried this), you may be able to roll back to a Windows restore point, reload current MLS software from scratch, then run MLS and be able to restore your backup. But again, I have not tried this.

If your Windows restore point is a ways in the past, it may be worth the effort to test it, though.
alnoe

Post by alnoe »

russellhltn wrote: Just to be clear, what kind of backup/restore are we talking about? .
Sorry, I know that wasn't very clear. It was just the basic Windows restore point recovery. The most recent possible before the issue occurred.
alnoe

Post by alnoe »

lajackson wrote:
If your Windows restore point is a ways in the past, it may be worth the effort to test it, though.
Those are good suggestions. I will probably give that a try.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:As a workaround (I have not tried this), you may be able to roll back to a Windows restore point, reload current MLS software from scratch, then run MLS and be able to restore your backup. But again, I have not tried this.
I'd test to see if a restore is needed once MLS is updated.

alnoe

Post by alnoe »

The restore point was June 21st. which was done on July 5th, processed financials that Sunday and performed the MLS backup as usual. We had to reenter some data to get back to where we were also. Then the next Sunday July 12th, yesterday in the morning Bishopric came in with same keyboard/mouse issue and did another restore point, same one June 21st. So we can't process financials until we get the July 5th data loaded or we'll have 2 separate backups, each with pieces of data we need.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Between CUBS and functions being transferred to LCR, backups are not what they used to be. Beyond custom reports and fields, I'm not sure as there's much to lose by starting from nothing.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”